Senior Data Engineer
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious disease. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work.
About the team
A team of deep specialists, our skills range from mathematics to computation. Our diversity is our strength. We turn complex information into lifechanging and practical insights, every day. Our progressive operating model means that we stay at the forefront. Evolving and learning from what we’re seeing externally. We impact patient’s lives. Empowering and enabling the business to run faster and better, we play a part in improving lives across the world
About the role
- Gather Requirements – Able to interact with business users, understand the requirement and convert them into technical design
- Be part of a truly Agile and DevOps team which provides data engineering support across the EU IT portfolio
- Design and implement technology standard methodologies, guidelines and reusable processes
- Test and quality assess new D&A solutions, to ensure they are fit for release: code assurance, Unit and System Integration Testing, Data testing, release management control and support of UAT processes
- Ensure that business data and information assets are made available as data services and artefacts for consumption by the wider AZ enterprise
Essential skills for the role
- Experience in AWS Services (like EMR, EC2, S3, Athena, Lambda, Redshift) and Pyspark
- Experience working in a fully CI/CD managed environment. Tools such as git, Jenkins, Bitbucket, Code Commit, Bamboo or similar
- Excellent SQL coding skills
- Excellent Data Modelling skills (RDBMS concepts, Normalization, dimensional modelling, star/snowflake schema etc.)
- Experience in scripting using Python, Unix etc.,
- Hands on experience with an orchestration capability is critical. Airflow is the preferred tool, but similar will be considered
- Experience of working with a range of BI & analytics architectures. These may include traditional data warehousing, visualization, analytics
- Experience and familiarity with data modelling (entity relationship diagrams, conceptual models, logical models, star schemas, third normal form).
- Experience of delivering data & analytics solutions using different delivery methodologies (e.g. Agile, Waterfall)
- Familiar with one or more data visualization tools (Microstrategy and/or Power BI)
- Complex problem-solving capability and ever improvement approach.
- Must be analytic, creative and self-motivated.
- Willing to work in a cross-cultural environment
- Ability to work effectively independently or as part of a team to achieve objectives.
- Excellent communication & documentation skills
- Eager to learn and develop new tech skills as required
It is desirable and good to have below listed skills & experience in relevant areas
- Domain knowledge (processes & data): Pharma Compliance, Regulatory Reporting etc.
- Working knowledge of Snaplogic, Databricks and Snowflake
- Stakeholders Engagement
- Good Story telling capability
- People/Process Management skills
- Proficient in communicating with the business stakeholders
- ITSM knowledge preferred
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science/IT or equivalent.
Preferable industry: IT
OVERALL YEARS OF EXPERIENCE: 10+ years of overall experience and 5+ years of EMR,S3, Redshift, Postgres, AWS and Datawarehouse projects
WHY JOIN US ?
A place to do important work. We connect across the whole business to power each function to better influence patient outcomes and improve their lives. Impactful and valuable, this is where you come to raise your profile and do good for others. Rise to the challenge of shaping the future of an evolving business in the technology space.
SO, WHAT’S NEXT?
Are you already envisioning yourself joining our team? Good, because we’d love to hear from you! Click the link to apply and we’ll be in touch as soon as we can.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.