MEDICAL DIRECTOR – CVRM, ATTR Amyloidosis
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As a Medical Director, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on patients’ lives.
The Medical Director is a member of the Core Medical Team (CMT), and is ideally a board-certified physician who has a history of clinical practice and significant experience in the cardiovascular, renal
and/or metabolic disease therapeutic areas. The Senior Medical Director is knowledgeable of the actions
of regulatory bodies, in particular FDA, and has experience in clinical trials. An ideal candidate should have significant experience in management of Cardiovascular, Renal & Metabolic Diseases and would thrive on proactively engaging internal and external leaders. S/he is accountable for the development and execution of the Brand Medical Plans. In addition, an ideal Medical Director will have strong business aptitude and/or experience, including proven ability to translate and align commercial and scientific goals and objectives.
What You'll Do:
• Medical input into brand strategy as a core member of Core Medical Team (CMT)
• Collaborate with commercial team and alliance partners to develop overall brand strategy
• As part of the Medical Plan, ensure comprehensive engagement plan with external leaders and key stakeholders, e.g., Managed Care Organizations, Key Opinion Leaders, Key Institutions and Hospital Systems, Professional Societies
• Play an integral role in the planning and participation of national and regional medical advisory boards
• Play an integral role in the planning and providing of training for external medical/scientific speakers
• Provide clinical education and training for internal stakeholders such as Field Medical Team and members of product sales teams
• Collaborate with medical and payer evidence directors to define research strategy and design of studies that address both clinical effectiveness and health
• Provide and lead the strategy and development of clinical studies to obtain promotional claims and/or advance the scientific knowledge of our products
• Provide input into Life Cycle Management studies and Phase 4 Study strategy/design
• Provide medical review in concert with cross-functional team members for Externally Sponsored Scientific Research proposals
• Provide medical input into the publication strategy and review/comment for medical accuracy of publications
• Provide medical review in concert with cross-functional team members for medical and promotional materials
• Maintain key links into global clinical activities by maintaining collaborative working relationships with TA medical physicians and other clinical team members.
• Supply medical input into safety profile of the product in collaboration with Patient Safety (PS) physicians
• Act as medical spokesperson for US Brand as needed for media inquiries or other external groups.
• Ensure compliance with all AZ corporate policies
Essential For The Role:
• Doctoral level degree (MD, PhD, PharmD)
• Experience in Cardiology/Nephrology/Endocrinology/Internal Medicine and Amyloidosis
• Background in academic medicine, clinical research, and familiarity with biostatistics and epidemiology
• Excellent written and oral communication, interpersonal and organization skills
• Highest level of ethics and integrity
• Ability to travel nationally and internationally. Travel will be ~30% of the time (post Covid-19)
• MD Board certification/eligibility preferred in Cardiology/Nephrology/Internal Medicine/Endocrinology or related relevant specialty.
• Strong business acumen, including working knowledge of changing U.S. payer and provider landscape
• Pharmaceutical industry experience or other experience in related areas including academic institutions
• Proven ability to interact productively with both commercial and scientific colleagues
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams
• Experience developing and/or launching a new pharmaceutical product
• Familiarity with OPDP, PhRMA code, and key regulations in the pharmaceutical industry
• Working knowledge of FDA requirements
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.