Field Physician, Cardio Metabolic Disease - Nephrologist
Field Physician - Cardio Metabolic Disease
Location - Field Based (US)
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As a Field Physician, Cardio Metabolic Disease (CVMD), you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
A Field Physician (CVMD) is a board-certified Nephrologist who has a history of clinical practice, who has significant experience in the therapeutic area of chronic kidney disease. They will have solid peer relationships with key opinion leaders in their therapeutic area (TA). An ideal candidate should have significant experience in their medical specialty and would thrive on proactively engaging internal and external leaders and will serve as a medical expert for their brand and disease area. The ideal Field Medical Director, US Medical Affairs, will also have strong commercial aptitude and/or experience, including proven ability to translate and align commercial and scientific goals and objectives.
- Interact with leaders of groups identified as strategic partners, including health care providers, payers and provider groups.
- Interact with leaders in the therapy area (external scientific experts, academic institutions, societies)
- Medical input into brand strategy as needed
- Play a role in the planning and participation of national and regional medical advisory boards.
- Play an integral role in the planning and providing of training for external medical/scientific speakers.
- Provide clinical education and training for internal stakeholders such as Medical Science Liaisons (MSLs), and members of the commercial teams
- Provide medical input into therapeutic area Externally Sponsored Research (ESR) program and Publication Strategies Team
- Supply medical input into safety profile of the product in collaboration with Patient Safety (PS) physicians
- Act as medical spokesperson for US Brand as needed for media inquiries or other external groups as needed.
- All activities of study team physicians for US local trials including design of trials, medical oversight of trial conduct, data interpretation
- Work with brand teams to provide scientific and clinical expertise/input into strategic and tactical decisions in support of AstraZeneca products acting as medical expert for disease area.
- Work closely with therapeutic area MSLs and CSLs for customer engagement planning
- Supply medical insight into promotional material along with learning materials for internal and external use
- Actively contribute medical and scientific input to relevant internal Brand, and Managed Markets teams regarding product strategy as needed.
- As a Medical expert, supply medical input into Phase III-IV programs and/or Life Cycle Management (LCM) programs as needed
- Graduate of a recognized medical school and recipient of an M.D. or D.O. degree
- Board certification/eligibility in Nephrology or Cardiology and strong clinical experience in chronic kidney disease
- Excellent written and oral communication, interpersonal, and organization skills.
- High level of emotional intelligence
- Strong business acumen, including working knowledge of changing U.S. payer and provider landscape
- Proven ability to interact productively with both commercial and scientific colleagues
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in cross functional teams
- Familiarity with OPDP, PhRMA code, and key regulations in the pharmaceutical industry
- Highest level of ethics and integrity
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally. Travel will be ~60-75% of time (post Covid).
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.