Senior Director, Competitive Intelligence Data Science - Discovery and Innovation
Senior Director, Competitive Intelligence Data Science
Locations: Gaithersburg, Cambridge UK
Do you have expertise in data science and passion for translating complex problems into analytical solutions? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the way cancer is treated, and make a meaningful difference to patients, in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
One of our core values is ‘Follow the science’ – something that guides our decision-making at every level. It means that our teams are backed to push the boundaries of science. No limits to our curiosity, we continuously question and explore. We make bold moves at the cutting edge. Transforming molecules to change the practice of medicine
Oncology Research & Development
Within Oncology Research & Development, a broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on five disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung, gastrointestinal and hematological cancers, as well as other tumor types. These cancers are being targeted through four key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies. All of these focus areas, new modalities and interventions will only succeed if we can bring our research data together in a holistic and synergistic manner.
As a team we are deeply committed to transforming the lives of patients living with cancer – with the ultimate aim of eliminating cancer as a cause of death. There’s no better place to make an impact – here we are uniquely placed with the funding, the ambition and the bravery to make it happen.
AstraZeneca's industry-leading Competitive Intelligence and Analysis team sits at the heart of the Oncology R&D Strategy Group and has an impact on decision-making at the highest levels. You will be part of a high performing Oncology R&D Strategy Team, bearing responsibility for ensuring the decisions we make with our pipeline assets to best position us for maximum return on investment and positive patient outcomes.
We have an exciting opportunity for someone passionate about utilizing data science to shape R&D strategy through deep competitor insights. This is a high impact role that requires you to shape strategy and influence critical investment decisions by delivering industry-leading analysis and insights to Senior Leadership and other key stakeholders to ensure a full understanding of the rapidly evolving oncology landscape.
The individual will work within an industry-leading competitor analysis team to generate insights through AI and ML, build scalable analytics apps and integrate external and internal insights to ensure robust investment decisions across the AZ portfolio.
What is the role?
We are looking for an experienced Data Science director to join our Oncology Competitive Intelligence (CI) team within Oncology R&D. This role will be part of a multi-functional agile team and will provide strategic and technical leadership in building predictive and prescriptive analytic solutions to support AZ’s oncology strategy, specifically in the early development areas involving antibody drug conjugates, Cell therapy, T-cell engagers and other novel platforms. The candidate needs to be a dependable teammate with strong hands-on analytics experience, drive, and curiosity. You know how to rise above the numbers and explain the essential insights to users at all levels including R&D Scientists, business professionals, analysts, IT development teams and senior executives. You simplify and distill business complexity into testable hypotheses and scalable solutions. While you are well versed in a plethora of advanced modelling techniques, you are able to identify the technique optimal for the task at hand based on the business requirements, your knowledge of the data and the technique’s assumptions, interpretability and robustness. You ask good questions, are continually learning as well as finding opportunities to share knowledge with others.
The CI Data Science Senior Director will oversee a varied and changing portfolio of data projects, playing a key leadership role alongside other functional stakeholders in discovery, translational and strategy teams to apply data science methods to inform tumor strategy. This role will be involved in stakeholder engagement and management, solution design discussions, leadership, mentoring and service engagement with the Oncology R&D competitive intelligence and strategy leads. This role will track and plan incorporation of new data science technology to the business processes within Competitive Intelligence.
You will join a team that has a history of delivering key insights to senior decision makers. We have ongoing work that is looking at optimizing the data processes and analysis that goes into creating and delivering these key insights. This role will be involved in projects that work across multiple delivery streams at any one time to help deliver these key insights.
What will you work on
- Drive the data cycle value chain for Oncology Competitive Intelligence from identification and decomposition of business problems, identification of data sources to solve the business problem, and drive usage of insights to advance strategy
- Lead and apply emerging knowledge from congresses, newsflow, publications, financial activity (e.g., deals) and awareness in trends, standard methodology and new developments in analytics and data science to influence functional practices within R&D
- Partner with oncology strategy, clinical and product leads to help answer key questions in early and late development
- Delivery of information models designed to drive the interrogation of datasets for insights in scientific and business application areas. These solutions include the application of specialized approaches in classification, regression, clustering, NLP, image analysis, knowledge graphs and/or other techniques.
- Using domain-specific understanding, translate unstructured, complex business problems into the appropriate data problem, model and analytical solutions across multiple projects and closely partner with scientistis and technology developers to deliver the solution
- Oversee the researching and developing of predictive models and computational methods to guide and influence decision-making outcomes for investments in early and late oncology clinical programs
- Develop effective relationships with business and clinical units to ensure utilization and value of the information resources developed by the data science team in multiple projects.
- Responsible for advanced data science expertise to multiple cross-functional projects and drive delivery of complex data science solutions that drive value to AstraZeneca
- Collaborates across the AstraZeneca Data and AI community to develop best practices and cross functional opportunities that drive value
- Oversight of partnerships with multiple third parties, academic or outsourced partners to shape and drive project outcomes and knowledge building across the organization
- Support the adoption of analytic products through effective storytelling and collaboration with key partners.
- Share knowledge with others on the team; continue to adapt or develop new methods and learn new software packages as available in the literature and recent publications.
- Advanced quantitative degree (Computational biology, Informatics, Business analytics, Statistics, Operations Research, Computer Science or related field) with at least 5 years of related industry experience or Bachelor’s degree and 7-12 years related industry experience.
Desirable for the role:
- Deep understanding of Oncology drug targets, drug development, clinical trials, Pharma portfolio and competitive intelligence
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential.
Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next!
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you!
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.