Medicinal Chemist (Associate Principal Scientist/Principal Scientist), Oncology Chemistry
Medicinal Chemist (Associate Principal Scientist/Principal Scientist), Oncology Chemistry group
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven, integrated biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is to make a meaningful difference to h health through great medicines that bring benefit for patients and add value for society. We discover, develop, manufacture and market prescription medicines for important areas of healthcare, which include some of the world’s most serious illnesses: cancer, cardiovascular disease, respiratory, inflammation, and autoimmune diseases. We are driven by a shared goal to make a positive impact on the lives of patients with these serious diseases.
Oncology is a core therapy area and growth platform at AstraZeneca and our vision is to deliver life-changing medicines that improve outcomes for patients most in need. We work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. As an Experienced Medicinal chemist in the Oncology Chemistry group in Waltham, MA you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
In addition to our passion for the discovery of innovative new medicines, we understand the importance of flexibility in our work-life environment and we offer a wide variety of benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources they need to pursue not only their work goals but also their life goals. We are dedicated to building strong research teams that embrace the diversity of talents of team members and allow the larger group to grow and learn together to accomplish our collective goal to improve human health.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
We are seeking to recruit an experienced medicinal chemist (Associate Principal Scientist/Principal Scientist) who will be joining our fast-paced multidisciplinary oncology team. In this role, you will provide scientific leadership within the medicinal chemistry department serving as a mentor and leader to less experienced scientific contributors. You will be accountable for: ensuring the timely delivery of high-quality scientific milestones from department projects and therapeutic area objectives; driving the strategic direction of the department in alignment with the therapy area priorities and vision; and strategic planning and long-term talent development of the section. The latter will include staff development in science and line roles within and across the functions through identification of training needs, rotation/secondment opportunities and improvement of cross-functional expertise.
In this role, you will function as a project chemistry leader/technical expert, strategize tasks outside your area of expertise with various drug discovery partner lines and communicate effectively with senior leadership. You may also share leadership responsibilities within the medicinal chemistry department and lead external collaborations.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry with >7 years of research experience within the pharmaceutical industry, including experience leading multi-disciplinary teams of highly qualified personnel.
- Strong expertise in Medicinal Chemistry to prosecute projects from early phase through candidate selection working in close collaboration with partner lines.
- Robust track record of portfolio delivery with proven examples of tackling drug discovery challenges and innovation to deliver clinical drug candidates.
- ‘Cutting edge’ knowledge of own area of specialization, and experience taking a leading role in establishing best practice in that area of specialization.
- Clearly demonstrate effective organizational, communication, interpersonal and managerial skills with the flexibility to accommodate programmatic changes and/or scientific directions.
- Strong record of recent peer-reviewed publications and/or external presentations and engagement in the external scientific community.
- Strong track record at leading, motivating, developing and organizing personnel.
- Thorough understanding how safety/health/environment personnel policies and procedures impact department work.
- Experience as a project leader involving multi-disciplinary resource management.
- Experience in working across multiple drug modalities including both small (MW < 600) and medium-sized (MW 600-1500) molecules.
- Contributor to strategic scientific and/or business initiatives within or outside of the biotech/pharma industry.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.