Associate Director, Safety Health & Environment (SHE)
Associate Director, Safety Health & Environment (SHE)
The Associate Director, SHE sits within our Oncology Research & Development (R&D) group Waltham and reports to the Director, SHE & Operational Logistics in Waltham. They are responsible for supporting the delivery of SHE programs and initiatives to all departments located within the Boston R&D campus. A key role is to provide creative and flexible approaches to problem solving and lead through personal initiative. This role ensures the efficient functioning of the laboratory, maintains compliance with industry regulations, manages resources, and fosters a productive and safe work environment.
What you'll do:
- An active member of the SHE Team contributing to ensuring the overall delivery of the SHE strategy, advice, and support to the site.
- Lead the development and execution of the SHE strategy for the site including (but not limited to) zero carbon, green lab, and safe systems of work initiatives.
- Provide knowledge and capability to obtain and assure licenses or permits to operate and adhere to local city, state, and AZ SHE policies, and procedures.
- Lead the local delivery of Global SHE standards and principles.
- Deliver and promote new initiatives and improvement programs in SHE and Facilities Management.
- The role will lead a team of SHE Advisors supporting the implementation of the SHE Program.
- Develop and maintain key relationships with all science customers and BioHub tenants.
- Oversight of the Health Services clinic and develop strategic for Health & Wellbeing.
- Oversight of Waste Support teams ensuring compliance to local and federal standards.
- Partner with the Kendall Square Commission, Transition and Operations (CTO) team to evaluate designs of the new building and provide subject matter expertise.
- Participate in global SHE networks to support alignment across all R&D sites.
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety, Health, and Environment, science, engineering, manufacturing or relevant discipline and 5+ years of relevant experience.
- OR High School Diploma and 9+ years of relevant experience.
- Effective problem and conflict resolution skills and proven team focus.
- Preferred demonstrable work experience in a pharmaceutical or biotechnology environment and in developing safe working processes.
- Familiarity with laboratory processes and ability to communicate in depth with scientists.
- Excellent communication skills and be comfortable supporting stakeholders at all levels.
- Be comfortable working autonomously and making decisions sometimes with limited information.
- A dynamic approach and comfortable working in an agile environment.
- Experience working in a multi-team environment.
- Good understanding of and approach to risk management.
Our Waltham, MA facility builds life-changing medicines for people around the world. The modern, vibrant scientific campus employs more than 800 experts in our field, and it is only a short drive from Boston, MA. With a shuttle bus to and from Alewife station, the location provides you the ability to work in the heart of one of the world’s most vibrant research centers. It is filled with innovative technology. Our work areas were built to facilitate teamwork, interaction and cross functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work.
Our Waltham site offers a variety of amenities to help book productivity and help keep our employees happy and engaged. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams and the greater research community.
As AstraZeneca continues to put patients at the forefront of our mission, we are excited for our move to Kendall Square/Cambridge in 2026.
Find out more information here:
Join the team dedicated to Oncology, with an ambition to eliminate cancer as a cause of death. It's our big vision that unites and inspires us. With multiple indications and high-quality molecules at all stages of our innovative pipeline, we keep pushing forward. Fusing cutting-edge science with the latest technology to achieve breakthroughs. Backed by investment, we are aiming to deliver 6 new molecular entities by 2025. A place built on courage, curiosity and collaboration. we make bold decisions driven by patient outcomes. Empowered to lead at every level, free to ask questions and take smart risks that write the next chapter for our pipeline and Oncology team.
Ready to make a difference? Apply today!
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.