Executive Director, Hematology Discovery R&D
Hematology is central to our strategy and vision for AstraZeneca’s becoming the leading company in the discovery and development of innovative medicines for cancer patients. We have built an end-to-end Hematology R&D team within Oncology R&D that demonstrates our technology platforms and deep mechanistic scientific activities. The coordinated structure brings together all Hematology projects and activities into a single unit, spanning discovery, translational hematology, clinical operation, and early and late clinical development teams. The Hematology R&D team works closely with the Oncology R&D discovery and Translational Medicine groups to accelerate the delivery of our innovative portfolio.
We are seeking a highly motivated and skilled leader to join the Haematology Discovery R&D group. The successful individual will set the strategy for Discovery within Haematology R&D including accountability for internal as well as strategic planning around major investments –partnerships, alliances, and internally developed programs. This leader will also be accountable for growing and building the Discovery team and aligning necessary resourcing through engagements with senior leadership.
This role will have a significant impact on the shape of Haematology Discovery R&D and thus requires a strong leader with credibility in this specialized field with a track record of building and growing strong teams in this space.
This role provides strategic and tactical leadership for the Haematology Discovery R&D function to deliver in our aspirations to deliver novel medicines within the Discovery space.
The Executive Director, Discovery will be based in Waltham, Massachusetts, and report to the Vice President of Discovery. The ideal candidate is an outstanding expert in the biology, genetics, and epigenetics of blood cancers, and should be able to recruit, mentor, and retain talent. The candidate should be innovative, self-motivated, collaborative, and strategic.
- Develops and leads the global Haematology Discovery R&D strategy to ensure the delivery of a sustainable portfolio of drug discovery programs
- Crafts the internal scientific investment, anticipates investment needs, and ensures provisions for appropriate resourcing to align with the vision
- Ensures the implementation and execution of this strategy through partnership with critical AstraZeneca R&D functions
- Develops and maintains effective relationships across functions to ensure that implications to the epigenetics cell therapy plan are understood and risks are handled; enables effective operation in a highly matrixed environment
- Serves as the internal and external interface for Haematology Discovery R&D
- Identifies new opportunities for Haematology Discovery R&D and works effectively with the team to evaluate and incorporate into the vision
- Focuses on ways to enable the unit to act nimbly and innovatively to ensure rapid development in a highly competitive landscape – develops compliant but streamlined processes for operational execution
- Develop an impactful team and instill a culture of agility and innovation -- champion a working environment that promotes science and encourages innovation in drug discovery
- Recruit the necessary talent to enable a skilled unit while also providing opportunities for expanded learning within the team
- Ensures external influences in the constantly evolving external landscape – competition, regulatory changes, etc. – are well understood and incorporated into the overall strategy
- Ensures own work, and work of the unit, is aligned with Good Laboratory Practice (GLP), Safety, Health, and Environment (SHE) regulations and all other internal and external standards and regulations
Skills and Experience Required:
- Education: Ph.D., and/or M.D. or equivalent experience required
- 10 plus years of experience in blood cancer biology, genetics, and epigenetics with knowledge and expertise in novel target identification and validation
- Extensive knowledge of the latest scientific, technical, and regulatory developments within Haematology Discovery & Target Biology
- Proven track record of scientific excellence and innovation, including peer-reviewed publications and/or patents
- Expertise in the discovery and identification of novel therapeutic targets, and the ability to identify and resolve sophisticated methodological issues
- Experience in effectively working and leading in a highly matrixed environment, with experience working with cross-functional teams
- Proven ability to develop a vision and strategy, and to recruit and retain talent
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to lead, influence, resolve conflict, and drive consensus among individuals from a variety of cultures and disciplines. Strong leadership skills
So, what’s next?
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.