Human Factors Engineer / Sr. Human Factors Engineer
Do you have a passion for Science? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
About AstraZeneca in South San Fran:
Join us as at our South San Francisco site, which is located in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, a perfect environment for employees who want to feel close to big city life yet avoid long commutes and congested streets. It is the birthplace of biotechnology and located on a peninsula, with beautiful views of the bay, a vibrant working-class community, which includes numerous restaurants, parks and a marina.
The Bay Area has mild winters and dry, cool summers, and striking skyline, which makes for a wonderful place to live or to work. All Bay Area transportation methods are easily accessible, with great affordable neighborhoods, which makes for an ideal location for AstraZeneca. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
Summary of the group:
The Human Factors Engineering Group provides human factors (HF) expertise and leads human factors engineering (HFE) work on device development project teams developing drug delivery systems. The Human Factors Engineer may support more senior Human Factors Engineers, and/or directly collaborate with multi-functional teams, including device engineering, regulatory, quality, clinical, program management, and marketing, to develop drug device combination products and ensure these products are safe and effective for use.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
The candidate will be responsible for the following activities:
• Developing HFE strategies and leading/supporting HF activities on drug delivery device technology development and/or drug-device combination product program teams from early-stage development to new product introduction and support for on-market products. This includes ethnography, requirements definition research, use-related risk analysis, formative usability studies, instruction and training development, and summative usability studies.
• Authoring HF work you're doing for device design history files. Writing HF sections for health authority submissions and written responses.
• Interacting with other HF group members and senior leaders with regards to HF strategy and implementation.
• Improving internal HFE processes at AstraZeneca to ensure consistency, compliance and efficiency
Education & Experience Requirements:
Degree in human factors engineering, bioengineering, mechanical engineering, or related field. Years of required experience will vary based on the highest level of education completed, the level of expertise within combination products.
Engineer: Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum 5 years of related experience or Master’s Degree and a minimum of 2 years of related experience in applying human factors engineering to medical device or combination product development
Sr. Engineer: Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 10 years of related experience with at least 3 years of experience in applying human factors engineering to medical device or combination product development -OR- Master’s Degree and a minimum of 8 years of related experience with at least 3 years of experience in applying human factors engineering to medical device or combination product development.
• Solid understanding of relevant human factors, design controls, and risk management regulations, standards, and mentors for medical devices and combination products and how to integrate into end-to-end combination product development
• Crafting, planning, and performing ethnographic, formative, or summative usability studies, with or without the support of external consultancies
• Demonstrated ability to translate multiple inputs (e.g., study results, technical constraints, etc.) into user needs and/or design recommendations
• Proven ability to collaborate actively and proactively with others multi-functionally, particularly to champion initiatives or establish processes, with strong interpersonal skills
• High level of initiative and ability to work independently
• Ability to analyze data, including knowledge and proficiency with basic statistics
• Ability to communicate effectively in writing, verbally, and as a presenter
• Demonstrated time management, critical thinking, decision-making, and organization skills
• Complex problem-solving, root cause investigation, and technical development methodologies
• Experience with development of promotional instructional materials and patient support programs for new product introductions and on-market product support based on understanding of the patient journey and passion to improve the experience with our products
• Solid understanding of periodic risk review and change control processes for on-market drug-device combination products
• Ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment
The annual base salary for this position ranges from $103,200 to $141,900. However, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. In addition, our positions offer a short-term incentive bonus opportunity; eligibility to participate in our equity-based long-term incentive program (salaried roles) or to receive a retirement contribution (hourly roles). Benefits offered included a qualified retirement program [401(k) plan]; paid vacation and holidays; paid leaves; and, health benefits including medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision coverage in accordance with the terms and conditions of the applicable plans. Additional details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next!
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it’s yours.
Where can I find out more?
Check out our landing page for more information on our BPD group https://careers.astrazeneca.com/bpd
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca has taken critical steps to protecting colleagues, loved ones, and patients from COVID-19 and its variants. COVID-19 vaccination is required for all US employees, and weekly PCR COVID-19 testing is required for those who are unvaccinated or have an approved accommodation.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.