Associate Director, Market Access
Position: Associate Director, Market Accesss
This is what you will do:
The Associate Director, Market Access Quebec assumes responsibility for managing and building relationships with provincial (emphasis on Quebec) and private payers, hospitals, hospital pharmacies and buying groups and other external partners across the Alexion portfolio. The role will work cross-functionally and in coordination with Alexion’s Global Pricing & Reimbursement team, to leverage tools, build initiatives and manage issues ensuring patients receive access to the medications they need.
The preferred candidate comes with a successful track record in market access, government affairs, account management, or sales leadership. Public and private payer industry and/or orphan/ultra-orphan product experience is strongly preferred. The candidate should have a strong understanding of federal, provincial (Quebec) and 3rd party payer systems; this includes understanding of payer policy development with commercial payers; working knowledge of reimbursement systems and processes for coverage with public and commercial payers; can set strategic and daily priorities; develop and lead the implementation of influence plans through multiple parties; has negotiated and implemented contracts; strong verbal and written communication skills; is a team player; and produces results. Additionally, the preferred candidate has a proven track record of success working with hospital pharmacy and administration to gain access to therapies administered in the inpatient and outpatient hospital settings.
You will be responsible for:
- Develop strategies to ensure appropriate access for Alexion’s portfolio of products and indications in Quebec, including engagement with provincial, private, and other key reimbursement decision makers
- Develop, implement and influence collaborative plans for specific payers and support efforts related to the development or implementation of any coverage policies for Alexion products
- Develop and execute strategies to support access for Alexion products with key decision makers within the hospital segment, including managing contracts and the buying groups
- Coordinate effort, with Patient Support Program, Sales, Marketing and Medical to support patient access with 3rd party payers
- Engage Medical to develop strategies to support access to Alexion products for appropriate patients
- Build relationships with Regional and National Payers and Payer organizations and Drug Evaluation committees (INESSS) to ensure the access of the patients to the products
- Coordinate activities with Alexion’s Global and local Government Affairs and Pricing & Reimbursement teams in order to ensure alignment with national strategies and negotiations, as well as global policies and objectives
- Participate in pricing negotiations with pCPA for public formulary listings and private payers, as required, to support rapid execution of product listing agreements in Quebec
- Contribute to national and regional access and advocacy strategies for Alexion products in partnership with internal teams (e.g., market access, government affairs, patient advocacy, medical) and external stakeholders
- Represent Alexion at local market meetings, key conferences, and association meetings
- Coordinate with marketing to integrate branding in collateral materials designed to facilitate appropriate access for hospital, outpatient, and 3rd party payer
You will need to have:
- 8+ years’ experience in pharmaceutical industry and/or government, biotech experience preferred
- 3+ years’ experience in payer/corporate accounts with a proven track record.
- Reimbursement/National Account experience, preferably in rare disease
- Management of access for therapies treating rare diseases preferred
- Cross-functional experience in other commercial roles, such as Sales, Marketing, Commercial Operations, Medical Affairs, Publications, National/Corporate Accounts, Managed Markets, Hospital Markets, etc.
- Experience with provincial payers and various levels of government, with a particular emphasis on Quebec
- Experience in specialty sales, with hematology/oncology, nephrology, neurology, and/or ultra-orphan drug experience preferred
- Experience in developing and leading market access strategies, robust value dossiers and HTA submissions
- Experience with gaining access to therapies in the inpatient hospital setting by working with pharmacy and administration
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and organizational abilities
- Clinical, technical and scientific knowledge and aptitude in complex disease states
- Negotiation experience provincially or nationally an asset
- Effective administrator who efficiently manages time, resources and workload
- Proven ability to manage large geographical territory
- Bilingual - fluency in both French & English (spoken and written)
- Travel 20% of the time
- University degree in science, business or equivalent
- MBA, PhD an asset
- Pharma-economics / Health Economics degree an asset
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.