Year 12-STEM based work experience (Molecules to Medicine)
We are a global, science-led biopharmaceutical business and our innovative medicines are used by millions of patients worldwide. At AstraZeneca, we’ve long been advocates of industrial placement training. We believe it is our responsibility to help promising scientists develop into the researchers of the future, by immersing them in a world of practical science.
This is achieved by aligning each student with a research team working on cutting-edge drug discovery projects. You will feel trusted and empowered to take on new challenges, but with all the help and guidance you need to succeed.
STEM based Work Experience (Molecules to Medicine)
AstraZeneca have an exciting opportunity for 2 x one-week unpaid work experience placements based at their Macclesfield site. The placement date(s) are as follows:
- Monday 3rd July to Friday 7th July 2023
- Monday 10th July to Friday 14th July 2023
Working hours will be 9am to 4 pm*
(* Monday will be 8:30 am start to allow time to register with reception).
To be eligible to apply students must be in Y12, studying Chemistry A-level, and wanting to have a career based around STEM.
- An introduction to the Pharmaceutical Industry.
- Application of STEM subjects to drug development.
- Tours of our world class laboratories and manufacturing facilities.
- Practical demonstrations related to A-level Chemistry.
- Career advice from those currently working for Astrazeneca plus chance to chat with the current cohort of apprentice scheme, industrial placement students, and graduates.
What Knowledge/Skills will the student gain:
- Understanding of what it takes to deliver a new medicine to the market.
- Awareness of roles based on STEM in Astrazeneca, and the different entry points.
- Application and development of STEM knowledge and skills.
- Experience the workplace environment whilst making new friends.
- Understanding of Drug Substance vs Drug Product and the different career options available in the manufacturing process to make a medicine.
Who can apply?:
To be eligible to apply students must be in Year 12, studying Chemistry at A-level, and wanting to have a career based around STEM.
How to apply?:
Please complete questionnaire, and attach a CV. Those who have been selected for further interview or questions will be contacted after the closing date.
Applications will be open until 6th April 2023.
COVID-19 small print.
Currently visitors and all employees are told to not come on site if they feel unwell (regardless of COVID-19 status) so the welcome pack will contain a number to call if required. Likewise we may have to adapt the content or send students home if we experience last minute staff absence.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.