Team Manager (Analytical) Chemical Development
AstraZeneca is a major international healthcare business engaged in the research, development, manufacture and marketing of prescription pharmaceuticals and the supply of healthcare services. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
We're proud to have an outstanding workplace culture that encourages innovation and collaboration. Here, our employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives and are made to feel valued, energised and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
Pharmaceutical Technology and Development (PT&D) is the bridge that turns forward-thinking science into medicines that help millions of people. We work across the entire value chain, designing and delivering active ingredients, formulations and devices required to support new medicines – from supplies for use in early toxicology studies and clinical trials to commercial. We also develop and establish robust and reliable commercial manufacturing processes that ensure we can supply life changing medicines to patients across the world.
An exciting opportunity has now arisen within our Chemical Development organisation in PT&D for an experienced team manager. We are accountable for the design, manufacture and commercialisation of our drug substance portfolio including all supporting science and technology programmes. You will lead a team of highly skilled analytical scientists designing, developing and commercialising the next wave of our products. Your team of scientists will support all aspects of analytical method development, control strategy and regulatory submission authoring. As a member of the extended leadership team you will also contribute to the strategic growth of the global analytical skill group and the wider chemical development organisation.
In this role, you will:
- Provide leadership and mentoring to your team ensuring the effective design and development of drug substances and analytical methods for clinical and commercial operations.
- Have technical responsibility and fiscal oversight for the analytical development aspects of a portfolio of drug projects. The drug projects will be for the small molecule portfolio and also will potentially include projects from the oligonucleotide, peptide and more complex modalities. Drive the use of best practice and ensure that internal and external resourcing is delivered within governance expectations.
- Set clear and stretching goals for team members aligned to project deliverables and strategic priorities ensuring progress against agreed plans.
- Work collaboratively across the multiple fields in Chemical Development to deliver against projects and drive new scientific approaches.
- Drive talent development alongside your colleagues. Using development discussions, coaching and mentoring to accelerate the development of individuals within your team and support opportunities for growth of key talent across the organisation.
- Champion using lean tools, best practice and innovative approaches (for example advanced modelling and simulation, digital design) to improve efficiency, facilitate problem solving and improve the sustainability of our developmental portfolio and commercial products.
- Ensure all activities align with AstraZeneca Pharmaceutical Quality System, and Safety, Health & Environment (SHE) standards.
- Be a visible role model for our Values and champion an inclusive culture. Ensure individuals are supported to speak up and share their opinions and ideas to help contribute to the overall success of the organisation and create a great working environment.
- Use your expert technical knowledge along with an understanding of stakeholder management and strong positive leadership & influencing skills to have a broad impact across multidisciplinary teams
All these activities will have a significant impact on the speed, quality and cost of our development portfolio, the sustainability of the existing portfolio of commercial products and the effectiveness of the chemical development organisation.
- BSc/PhD level education in a relevant subject area (such as Chemistry, Analytical Science)
- Significant relevant post graduate experience working within a Research & Development environment within the pharmaceutical industry with expert knowledge of CMC analytical characterisation/control and technology that provides solutions to drug substance understanding.
- Experience of leading analytical teams in the development and commercialisation of drug substance processes.
- A proven track record of using coaching, mentoring and other leadership tools to build high-performing teams and develop individual talent
- A detailed understanding of the principles and management of SHE and cGMP.
- A detailed understanding of the drug development process and the product life cycle and how chemical development contributes to it.
- Extensive experience of the subject areas within chemical development and how they work together to deliver the best outcomes
- Skilled in effective communication
- Experience of working with external companies/partners to deliver business goals.
- Working knowledge of other departments who contribute to the drug development process and the inter-relationships with chemical development
At AstraZeneca, we’re not afraid to do things differently. We’re building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening up new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together.
Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be!
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you!
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.