National Oncology Account Director (IL/IN Territory)
At AstraZeneca, we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and partnering with colleagues and customers to make the seemingly impossible a reality. We’re focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world.
AstraZeneca’s vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. Along with other tumor types, these are being targeted through four key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
National Oncology Account Director Role
As a National Oncology Account Director, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific advances to make a positive impact on improving patients’ lives. In this role, you will be able to deliver AstraZeneca’s cutting-edge science and commercial capabilities to the leadership and key decision makers of our many healthcare clients.
The National Oncology Account Director works with identified oncology accounts’ executive leadership and director-level leadership (e.g. pharmacy, medical, quality) to advance AstraZeneca business priorities including but not limited to new product/indication introduction and launch, portfolio and product value proposition communication, provider institution formulary product access achievement, appropriate oncology pathway design, and GPO contract pull-through. This individual leads AstraZeneca cross-functional customer-facing team development of account-level strategies consistent with mutual business objectives and closely collaborates with these teams to ensure effective plan implementation.
- Develops business to business relationships with targeted Oncology customers as appropriate
- Builds strong, networked relationships throughout key Oncology account customer organizations, and develops/strengthens key relationships with account senior management and decision makers
- Prioritizes account projects/initiatives that address changing customer and market requirements; presents business case for opportunity evaluation, including a broad view of the entire account impact and coordinates/manages project implementation
- Proactive in identifying issues and challenges with accounts. Engages with appropriate resources in headquarters for development of customer solutions and contracts.
- Navigates customer account leadership to effectively communicate clinical and economic rationale for and thus secure product formulary and EMR inclusion, as well as appropriate treatment plan development
- Partners with Medical Affairs as appropriate to communicate health economic data and real-world evidence to provider and pathway institutions
- Partners with Access Strategy, Medical Affairs and Customer Marketing as appropriate to holistically address the pathway ecosystem and effectively inform Oncology pathway design
- Leads GPO contract pull-through in community account including tactical coordination with AZ GPO Account Directors, AZ Sales, AZ Marketing, and GPO client-facing account teams
- Ensures and drives consistent implementation of account strategy with respect to pull through across the Oncology customer-facing teams for target accounts; communicates with Brand Team, Oncology Field Sales, and Market Access customer facing teams regarding account-specific programs, activities, and pull-through messages
- Provides customer insight to Access Strategy and Marketing teams
- Bachelor’s degree
- 7+ years pharma and/or other healthcare related experience
- 4+ years prior Oncology experience
- Demonstrated leadership, project management and team development ability
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with and influence peers and management
- Demonstrated communication and platform skills
- Demonstrated results orientation
- Demonstrated strategic planning capabilities
- Understanding of financial concepts and contracting issues
- Strong customer facing skills
- Prior experience in a pharma commercial function
- Prior experience in sales management or general management
- Prior experience as a pharmacy, medical, or quality director at a healthcare institution
- Prior account management experience responsible for provider institutions or oncology GPOs
- Demonstrated negotiating capability
- Demonstrated fluency in Oncology clinical science
- Demonstrated fluency in translating clinical outcomes and health economic data into customer value
Key Organizational Partnerships
- Oncology Access Strategy Team
- Sales: Commercial Business Director, District Sales Managers, Product Sales Specialists
- Market Access: GPO Account Directors, Regional Account Director
- Marketing: Oncology Brand Teams
- Medical Affairs: Medical Science Liaisons, National Clinical Account Directors, Field Health Outcomes Directors
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, gender or gender orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.