Senior Research Scientist – Analytical Chemist for Oligonucleotide Analytics
AstraZeneca R&D, Physical & Analytical Chemistry, Gothenburg, Sweden seek to recruit a Senior Research Scientist responsible for Analytical Research of oligonucleotides in the Therapeutic Area Respiratory and Immunology (R&I).
AstraZeneca is one of the world’s most exciting biopharmaceutical companies. From scientists to sales, lab techs to legal, we’re on a mission to turn science into life-changing medicines that improve patients’ lives and benefit society. AstraZeneca is committed to the development of the next generation innovative respiratory medicines. The department of Medicinal Chemistry in the therapeutic area of Respiratory & Immunology is focused on the delivery of Small Molecule (SM) and New Modalities (NM) clinical candidates. Its Physical and Analytical Chemistry team, crucial for the delivery of clinical compounds, is working with a strong research focus in close collaboration with Medicinal Chemists and scientists in all other neighbouring departments. We jointly aim at the discovery of the respiratory medicines of the future.
We are looking for a candidate with a background in Analytical Chemistry and documented expertise in the characterisation of synthetic oligonucleotides. In this role, the candidate will support synthesis and drug discovery projects with state-of-the art analytical characterisation of oligonucleotides, mainly by MALDI-MS and LC/MS. As an experienced analytical chemist, the candidate shows the ability to engage and collaborate across boundaries with a problem-solving attitude and delivery focus.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Efficient support of AZ oligonucleotide portfolio applying MALDI-MS and LC/MS methods
- Driving internal build of analytical methods for oligonucleotide profiling
- Effective collaboration with project team members and colleagues in Medicinal Chemistry
Requirements and Qualifications
- PhD in Analytical Chemistry
- Documented expertise in MALDI-MS, LC/MS and high-resolution mass spectrometry (theoretical in-depth knowledge and practical expertise)
- Demonstrated expertise in MS characterization of oligonucleotides (MS/MS CID, ETD and MALDI-MS) is a significant bonus.
- Experience and knowledge of separation techniques beyond RP-UPLC (such as Gel electrophoresis, capillary electrophoresis, ion-exchange chromatography and size exclusion chromatography) is a bonus.
- Strong scientific curiosity in novel technology and methods
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
We welcome your application by August 9th at the latest.
For more information about the position please contact Tomas Leek, Team Leader, Physical and Analytical chemistry, by email: Tomas.Leek@astrazeneca.com or via LinkedIn.
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases. In addition to being one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies, AstraZeneca is proud to provide a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and cross-boundary collaboration. The Respiratory, Inflammation & Autoimmunity (RIA) unit is one of AstraZeneca´s core therapy areas focused on the discovery and development of novel treatments for respiratory diseases.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.