Senior Data & Analytics Engineer
Are you passionate about using data to unlock the potential of science, develop life-changing medicines and bring them to patients quicker?
AstraZeneca Science & Enabling Units IT is building an outstanding organization at the forefront of the digital revolution in healthcare. We’re applying technologies such as AI, machine learning, software and data engineering and analytics to provide mission-critical insights. Come and thrive in our culture of excellence, engagement and development – and make a positive difference to patient outcomes.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
As Senior Engineer you will be a part of the Data & Analytics organization, who provides analytics, data insight services and solutions critical to the mission of AstraZeneca. D&A is organized into teams specializing in: Information Architecture, Data Engineering, Visual Engineering, Knowledge Management, Data Science, Data Analysis and Information Governance.
You will support solution development, provide technical leadership, and take responsibility for delivery. For this role, we want a T-shaped engineer, a person with a broad range of knowledge and experience across data & analytics, with significant depth in at least one technical area. You will work almost exclusively on our AWS data platform. You will join a team that has delivered cloud solutions, such as the development of auto-scaling containerized ETL. Similarly, we have built an automated ETL test harness which integrates with our evolving CI/CD processes. We have a significant amount of data and you will work with some or all of the following; data hub processing terabytes of clinical trial data, the world’s largest genomics platform, a federated reporting capability, a new tax analytics platform, or improvements to any of our existing analytics solutions.
You'll be part of a team of engineers who work closely with IT colleagues in Chennai and Guadalajara and be the technical point of reference on projects. We have business partners and team members spread globally, so you would need a collaborative delivery approach to be successful. We prefer to use Agile but choose the appropriate approach for the project.
Do you have a real passion for delivering well engineered data and analytics solutions? Because this will make you stand out from other specialists.
- Delivery experience across key elements of the data & analytics domain,
- Forward-thinking interpersonal skills & a collaborative approach to delivery,
- Ability to demonstrate and understand business needs and translate them into a solution,
- Strong analytical and data manipulation ability,
- Experience of technical leadership in data and analytics.
Desirable Technical skills & Experience
- Experience of ETL & cloud techniques and tools (we currently use Talend for ETL, AWS data & analytics services such as S3, SQS, SNS, Redshift, Postgres, Aurora, MySQL, EMR, HIVE, PIG, Spark),
- Experience of visualisation technologies (we are focused on OBIEE and Microstrategy),
- Experience of building scalable high availability analytics solutions,
- Continuous integration and continuous development (we use Jenkins, Nexus, Git),
- Experience of data analysis – profiling, investigating, interpreting and documenting data structures,
- Familiarity with data modelling techniques and hands on modelling experience (our relational databases are third normal form and star schema),
- Agile practices, especially being a SCRUM Master.
If this role sounds of interest and you would like to learn more, apply today!
AstraZeneca is a global biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, you would express diverse perspectives, contribute to an energized environment and provide creative ideas - and be rewarded for this.
Our stunning campus in Gothenburg is one of AstraZeneca’s three strategic science centers. The site is home to over 2,500 employees, from 50 different nationalities. Gothenburg includes the complete range of functions, and as such offers plenty of development opportunities for a wide range of professionals. Our science teams in Gothenburg collaborate with academic and industry partners in Sweden and globally. And the site itself has been designed with collaboration in mind. From the Coffee Lab to exercise areas, we’ve built a series of environments where innovation can happen.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.