Associate Director – Small Molecule Preformulation and Biopharmaceutics
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines and strive to continuously meet the unmet needs of patients worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big, and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
Pharmaceutical Sciences at AstraZeneca deliver the therapies of the future through scientific leadership in drug delivery, design of synthetic routes, and manufacturing of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API) and drug products. Our portfolio of projects spans small molecules, peptides, oligonucleotides to RNA-based therapeutics across AstraZeneca’s therapy areas. Advanced Drug Delivery (ADD) resides within Pharmaceutical Sciences with a mission to provide novel products to AstraZeneca’s clinical pipeline.
We now seek a talented, motivated Associate Director to lead a large preformulation and biopharmaceutics team in Gothenburg, Sweden. The selected candidate will be responsible for the proof-of-concept testing of new drug delivery technologies, and lead formulation efforts for the small molecule discovery portfolio up until GLP tox formulation definition across AstraZeneca’s R&D units. In addition, the role will have responsibility for biopharmaceutical assessment of small molecule and new modality (i.e., peptides, oligonucleotides, and RNA based therapeutics) portfolio candidates from discovery to Phase II.
Your broad understanding of the discovery to launch drug development process, and excellent stakeholder management skills will ensure your Preformulation & Biopharmaceutics team provides first class scientific input and enables insight to key functions across Pharmaceutical Sciences, R&D as a whole, and beyond. Drug delivery and CMC is critical for the AstraZeneca pipeline and hence you will be key in developing current and future talent to be successful in the rapidly changing R&D environment.
You will be reporting to the Head of Advanced Drug Delivery and collaborate closely with other ADD teams located in Waltham/US, Cambridge/UK and Gothenburg/Sweden.
Essential Requirements – Experience, skills, capabilities
- Ph.D degree in pharmaceutical sciences, pharmacokinetics, or other relevant scientific discipline.
- Experience in leading, coaching, developing and managing a large team of scientists with a variety of experience levels
- Experience with leading and managing change processes
- Track record as a scientific leader, providing scientific challenge and direction to team members.
- Prior industrial experience in influencing drug discovery with the aim of ensuring CMC developability and/or biopharmaceutics assessment of oral or inhaled drug candidates
- Understanding of the Astra Zeneca’s disease areas, and exposure to multiple disciplines in Drug Discovery or Pharmaceutical Development to enable influencing of drug and drug product design.
- Knowledge of the overall drug research and development process from Discovery through to Launch, and an appreciation of how Pharmaceutical Sciences disciplines contribute to R&D and the broader business
- A leader of a product development scientific skill discipline including external visibility through publications, presentations and networking activities. Capable of and desire for continuing to develop self in this arena.
- Innovative, with a passion for driving scientific excellence and a continuous improvement mind-set
- Ability to effectively communicate and manage multiple diverse stakeholders to build strong collaborative relationships across disciplines and cultures, internally and externally
- Strategic thinking – able to develop and influence strategy for business area entailed in position and beyond
- Thorough understanding of principles, applications and management of Safety Health and Environment (SHE).
This is an exciting opportunity for professional growth in areas of drug development, science, and leadership. If you’re inspired by the possibilities of science to make a difference and ready to discover what you can do – join us.
For more information about the position please contact Annette Bak, Head Advanced Drug Delivery at firstname.lastname@example.org
We encourage you to send your application as soon as possible, but no later than December 15, 2019.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.