Senior Scientist – Protein Engineering & Next Gen Sequencing
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe.
About AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help boost productivity and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.
Summary of the Group
The Antibody Discovery and Protein Engineering (ADPE) department at AstraZeneca is constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re utilizing our expertise in protein and antibody engineering to enable novel therapeutic approaches to Oncology, Respiratory, Inflammatory, Cardiovascular and Infectious disease. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore new and exciting technologies.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
As a member of the Antibody Discovery and Protein Engineering group your main responsibilities will include planning and executing experiments related to developing protein engineering platforms for therapeutic antibody generation and optimization. This individual will work with scientists to create research plans, execute experiments, analyze and interpret data and present results to the group and the department.
As a part of our Protein Engineering team in Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
- Design, clone and sequence novel protein therapeutics
- Run NGS samples
- Transfect and purify proteins/antibodies in bacterial and/or mammalian systems
- Design and execute experiments to evaluate novel protein therapeutics, including therapeutic efficacy, and mechanism of action studies
- Interpret data in the context of multidisciplinary project teams
Master’s Degree in Molecular Biology, Biochemisty, Molecular Engineering or other related fields with at least 7+ years of relevant experience in industry (preferred) or academia or Doctoral Degree with at least 0-2 years of relevant experience in industry (preferred) or academia
- Strong background in modern molecular biology techniques with experience in gene design and cloning
- NGS sample preparation and sequencing experience
- Experience performing standard laboratory procedures for the study of protein characterization such as ELISA, SDS-PAGE and immuno-staining techniques
- Ability to conceive of and design experiments, develop assays, optimize protocols, and interpret experimental results
- The ability to learn and embrace new technologies quickly, work independently and communicate well with the team
- Excellent organizational and record keeping skills with strong team-based communication and presentation skills
- B cell screening or characterization experience
- Experience with antibody engineering and antibody selection techniques (phage/yeast display) selections)
- Any protein expression, characterization and purification background
- Skilled in cell culture, including transfections.
- Skilled in flow cytometry
- Experience with automation platforms
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it’s yours.
Where can I find out more
Check out our landing page for more information on our BPD group https://careers.astrazeneca.com/bpd
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.