Senior Data Scientist
Senior Data Scientist
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. As a part of our Data Infrastructure and Tools function in the Data Science & AI team in Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
About AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help boost productivity and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.
Summary of the Group
At AstraZeneca we harness data and technology to maximise time for the discovery and delivery of potential new medicines. Right now, we are embedding data science and Artificial Intelligence (AI) across our R&D to enable our scientists to push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
The Data Infrastructure and Tools function in Data Science and AI leads data infrastructure and tools build & maintenance for R&D, partnering closely with Science IT. This includes establishing and running large scale data management and analytics environments driven by programmes such as Science Data Foundation.
The Data Automation and Tools Team in Data Infrastructure and Tools provides innovative solutions to informatics and data management challenges in R&D, including establishing support for new data types, and new ways of managing and integrating data, enhancing our effective use and re-use of our data to support R&D goals.
- Analyses information to determine project requirements from an informatics, data science and/or data management perspective and applies a range of informatics and data management methodologies to support R&D, scientific and medical professionals to resolve specific business problems.
- Works in partnership with local and global customers to advise on information exploitation including integration, processes and innovative technologies, essential for decision-making.
- Provides solutions to a variety of informatics, data science and data management problems of moderate scope and complexity, including process definition and automation (where possible).
- Designs and supports the conceptualisation of innovative information solutions to enable clinical trials to optimally utilise relevant data and support business decisions.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues within DS&AI, wider R&D and SEUIT to deliver scientific information platforms, database systems, processes, tools and techniques to solve scientific problems
- Minimum MSc in a Life Science, Computer Science or similar discipline with 5-7 years of relevant experience; PhD with 1-3 years of relevant experience preferred
- Disease/therapy area and/or biological sciences domain knowledge
- Up-to-date with modern analysis tools and techniques
- Working knowledge of research and/or clinically relevant public and commercial data assets
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to work with others to achieve objectives
- Practical experience with technical computer skills: scripting (e.g. R, Python, Unix, SQL); application languages (e.g. Java, C#);
- PhD in a Life Science or Computer Science preferred
- Experience within the pharmaceutical industry
- Experience of working in iterative (agile) tool development projects.
- Experience of data visualisation techniques
- Experience of data management platforms (RDBMS, Graph and semantic web)
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next?
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it’s yours.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.