Senior Data Scientist
Do you have a passion for Science? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
About AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD:
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help boost productivity and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.
Summary of the group:
The Data Science and Modeling team within AstraZeneca’s Biopharmaceutical Development (BPD) group applies sophisticated algorithms and techniques to solve some of the hardest problems in the development of biological medicinal products. The team uses a blend of scientific, problem solving, and quantitative skills to develop and deliver ground breaking methods addressing critical problems in bioproduct development.
Our team of data scientists work right next to biotechnology scientists and operational teams, allowing them direct influence on the questions, the design of the corresponding studies and real time access to the resulting data. Biopharmaceutical Development has more than 20 years of experience with biotherapeutics, has brought more than 100 molecules to the clinic and has launched 6 new therapies. Together we seek to:
- Improve our understanding of disease and uncovering new targets
- Transform R&D processes
- Speed the design and delivery of new medicines for patients
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
An AI Scientist plays a pivotal role analyzing and manipulating various types of biomedical datasets, generating insights from complex data to bring innovative medicines to patients, and applying machine learning to tackle difficult problems in biotechnology drug development.
- Demonstrated knowledge of modern data science approaches, including unsupervised and supervised classification and regression algorithms. May also have expertise in advanced statistical modelling, or broader aspects of applied mathematics such as dynamical systems or optimization.
- Algorithm design, development, optimization, scaling and applications.
- Data modeling experience with sequential data such as signals, sequences, and time series
- Experience with deep learning algorithms and solutions for signals and time series data
- R, Python/Julia Programming experience, SQL Querying
- Unsupervised modeling for exploratory analysis or insights, predictive modeling: Classification and Regression
Education & Experience Requirements:
PhD in mathematics, computer science, physics, statistics, engineering, or a related quantitative subject area OR Master’s Degree with 3+ years of data science experience.
- Problem solving, critical thinking, and research oriented
- R, Python/Julia Programming experience, SQL Querying
- Algorithm design, development, optimization, scaling
- Data preparation and preprocessing
- Unsupervised modeling for exploratory analysis or insights
- Predictive modeling: Classification and Regression
- Understanding and familiarity with deep learning algorithms for RNN, CNN, or reinforcement learning
- Stakeholder management and effective communication of the results and models
Desired Skills: (one or more of the following Skills are desired)
- Experience with transfer learning and multi task learning,
- Genomics/Sequence data analysis using machine learning
- Reinforcement learning / Recommendation systems / Natural Language Processing
- AWS storage and services
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it’s yours.
Where can I find out more
Check out our landing page for more information on our BPD group https://careers.astrazeneca.com/bpd
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.