Main duties and responsibilities
We seek a highly motivated and innovative Principal Scientist/Associate Director with a strong molecular virology background and leadership skills/potential to join the Early Discovery Oncology Bioscience team at AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD. In this role you will lead existing oncolytic virus program(s) in the Early Discovery portfolio and directly line manage a team of in vitro/in vivo virologists/biologists. You will also manage a multidisciplinary team to engineer next generation oncolytic viruses with improved therapeutic potential and be accountable for the delivery of new pipeline projects. Additionally, you will interact and collaborate with AstraZeneca science leaders across disciplines to build the strategic direction of the oncolytic virus portfolio and may manage external collaborations in this area.
- Minimum B.S. degree required. M.S, Ph.D., Pharm D or equivalent in Virology, Microbiology, Cell Biology, Oncology or other relevant scientific disciplines is a plus.
- Extensive experience within the pharmaceutical/biotech industry and the drug discovery process across different project stages and/or academic experience with viruses as therapeutics (oncolytic viruses, viruses as vectors/vaccine platforms)
- Extensive knowledge and hands-on experience in the design, engineering, production, isolation and characterization of novel recombinant viruses, including vaccinia virus
- Recognized leader in oncolytic virology as evidenced by strong publications in leading peer reviewed journals
- Proven capability to identify and develop new virus/vector technologies in the oncology space
- Successful record of managing multiple projects across various development stages
- Highly developed problem solving and risk management skills
- Effective communication and influencing skills with the proven ability to lead a multidisciplinary team
- Excellent team player and team builder with good interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to motivate, mentor and develop others
- Strong and energetic leader with good capability to make sound and timely decisions
- In vivo experience using animal models
Please note that the level of the position will be determined through the interview process assessing experience, skills and capabilities.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.