Market Access Insights Director
Do you have expertise in, and passion for Insights and Analyticsin Oncology? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the Market Access Insight Director role in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
AstraZeneca’s vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through five key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, HER2 and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility crafts life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 specialists in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most ground breaking technology and lab spaces, all designed to encourage collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to fostering a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers various amenities to help boost efficiency and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while strengthening collaboration between teams.
The Market Access Insight Director is accountable for overseeing, developing and communicating actionable insights that effectively shape market access and brand strategy and tactics based on a combination of primary research and secondary data across multiple customer segments, principally Managed Markets and Health Care Professionals (HCP). The Market Access Insight Director will use sound market research along with strong analytical and critical thinking skills to support the Oncology Market Access Strategy Team in making calculated decisions, cultivating business cases, and developing relevant customer facing tools and resources. Keys to success in this position are superlative communication, consultative and influencing skills predicated on a strong foundation of primary market research skills and secondary data analysis proficiency. This job may require occasional travel for research.
- Thinks Strategically: Quickly identifies and acts on opportunities, combining forethought with action. This is based on an understanding of the external environment and its impact on AstraZeneca and its oncology brands. (Essential)
- Assembles facts and insight to tell a cohesive story that clearly communicates the health of the business. (Essential)
- Drives Performance: Holds self and others accountable for the achievement of performance expectations. Creates an environment that enables others to perform at their best. (Essential)
- Works Collaboratively: Actively creates and promotes cross-boundary collaboration with the aim of achieving better business results. Boundaries can exist between individuals, geographies, cultures, teams, functions, organizations, etc. (Essential)
- Acts Decisively: Makes and acts on decisions quickly and effectively and fosters the same in others. This is based on an underlying courage to enable risk-taking for the business. (Essential)
- Develop, deliver and execute market research and insight plans that support Oncology Market Access Strategy
- Manage primary market research design and execution, including vendor/project management, with minimal supervision
- Compile and analyze secondary market research and/or data, including identification and appropriate use of data sources
- Provide market access specific market evaluations, interpretations, and communication of results synthesizing key data and insights spanning a host of different sources and types of data
- Create meaningful insightful reports and presentations that clearly and succinctly highlight the actionable insights combined with business implications/strategic and tactical options
- Work with Oncology Business Insight counterparts to ensure that access specific insights are integrated, where appropriate
- Identify business needs proactively and build research/analysis with foresight
- Develop and maintain market research budgets
- Maintain effective relationships with contractors and other third-party vendors through oversight of the vendor management process
- Lead oncology market access specific KPI creation and tracking
- Leverage/apply AstraZeneca insight best practices as appropriate
- BA/BS degree required; preferably advanced degree in a relevant field, e.g. MA, PhD, MBA, PharmD
- 5+ years pharmaceutical or biotechnology experience
- 5+ years of primary market research and analytical experience applying various primary research techniques and secondary analysis to inform business decisions
- U.S. Market Access experience is required
- Oncology experience preferred
- Technical proficiency and knowledge of U.S. drug reimbursement and access, i.e. coverage, coding and payment, is required
- Knowledge of diagnostic market access is preferred
- Direct report/people management experience required
- Pharmaceutical, Healthcare or Consumer insight and/or consulting experience is preferred
Skills and Competencies:
- Demonstrated success in applying various primary research techniques to inform strategy in the pharmaceutical industry
- Demonstrated ability to influence laterally and vertically
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage demands of more than one project simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to pull together insights from a variety of sources and develop strategic guidance for brand teams that result in a business decision or action
- Demonstrated ability to communicate at all levels
- Thorough understanding of standard primary market research tools and techniques across all customer segments, i.e. HCP, Consumer, Managed Markets
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data sets and define opportunities and concerns
- Strong business and marketing acumen and excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to think strategically and tactically and coordinate the appropriate analytical expertise necessary to address a variety of different business issues
- Ability to navigate through a lot of information and to identify what’s most important and most actionable
- Ability to work in a collaborative and influencing fashion that drives to business action
- Strong analytical skills with customary knowledge of variety of secondary data sources (e.g., IMS, WK, IPSOS); direct data management and analysis experience high desirable
- Ability to work within AstraZeneca's established policies/procedures and core values
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.