Lead Machine Learning Research Scientist, Tissue Biomarker & Digital Pathology
As part of AstraZeneca’s AI transformation, we have an exciting opportunity to take a leading role in a new team committed to pushing the boundaries of Oncology R&D by analyzing pathology imaging data sets. The team will take full advantage of big data initiatives at AstraZeneca, such as investment in Definiens, partnerships with leading Clinical Research Organization (CROs) and vendors, membership in the Partners of Choice Network (leading global academic Universities), and global pathology laboratories with numerous digital slide scanners. You will have access to oncology clinical trial pathology slides and corresponding orthogonal data sets including Genomics, Transcriptomics, Proteomics, Liquid Biopsies, Epigenomics, and clinical data from patients in oncology clinical trials. By connecting pathology imaging with patient response and perturbations in the tumor microenvironment, you will build a fuller understanding of the complexities of cancer drug development and drive the discovery of a new generation of cancer targets and precision medicines.
- A graduate degree (e.g. Masters or PhD) in a quantitative discipline (Computer science, Bioinformatics, Data Science, Engineering & Modeling, Applied Mathematics, Physics or similar).
- 5 or more years of relevant work experience in either the Tech or biotech/pharmaceutical industry.
- A deep understanding of imaging.
- Solid experience in machine/deep learning modeling and data analysis using state-of-the-art platforms and tools: Python, NumPy, sklearn, Tensorflow/Theano/Torch/Keras, etc.
- Strong software engineering skills in building complex and well-design cloud-based AI models, e.g. using AWS, GCP or Microscoft Azure
- Proven ability to mentor and motivate teams, directly and indirectly.
- Comfort supervising work in cross-disciplinary and global project environments.
- An ability to influence leadership and direct scientific and technical strategy.
- Skilled in effective communication of complex data and methods to a non-expert.
- Well networked across relevant data science and scientific communities.
- Publications or research in fields related to machine learning.
About the job
The Tissue Biomarker and Digital Pathology team works with biomedical researchers and data scientists across the drug discovery pipeline, contributing directly towards patient-benefit. By connecting biological insights from our pathology imaging data sets, you will discover and drive new hypotheses and potential diagnostics into our portfolio. As part of our burgeoning team, we will transform early R&D, surfacing novel insights to improve our understanding of oncology disease, patients, targets, experiments and drug response.
As a leadmachine learning scientist on the team, you will be motivated to leverage your data science and AI skillset to transform how we discover new therapies. You will apply your skills and innovation to:
- Work alongside pathologists, data scientists, engineers and the Translational Medicine teams to maximize value to drug project teams.
- Develop new models to analyze clinical trial tissues from either H&E, IHC, and/or high dimensional imaging data sets.
- Design innovative data anlysis insights from imaging data
- Take a leadership position on our team to define new methods development and strategic direction.
- Influence investment in data generation or licensing machine learning models, via articulation of the vision and impact on the drug R&D pipeline to senior stakeholders.
- Educate the AZ scientific community to recognize opportunities for machine learning with pathology imaging data sets.
- Collaborate with the burgeoning Data Science and AI community across AZ to benchmark best practices and maximize impact, sharing code and peer insight.
- Maintain awareness of state-of-the-art applications of machine learning applications to analyze clinical trial tissues and influence strategic direction of the team.
- Grow our external reputation by publishing innovative methodologies and scientific discoveries.
AI @ AstraZeneca
We have exciting opportunities for people passionate about the power of data and Artificial Intelligence (AI) as a catalyst for change.
At AstraZeneca, we are united by a common purpose: to push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines. Our work helps to make hearts healthier, helps people breathe easier, and helps more people survive cancer. Every single day, we make a difference by delivering potentially life-changing medicines to millions of people worldwide.
A significant investment in AI and Machine Learning is at the forefront of our AZ2025 innovation program. This will include assembly of teams to deliver a FAIR science data foundation, AI-augmented drug design, and data science led biological insights. As part of this initiative you will support us in positioning AstraZeneca at the forefront of drug discovery, developing techniques to augment and transform how we discover and develop new medicines in future.
Apply today to be part of something extraordinary.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.