Director of Alliance Management
Do you have expertise in, and passion for, building strong alliances to further pharmaceutical research? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the Oncology R&D Alliance Management team in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We are committed to advancing the science of oncology to deliver life-changing medicines to patients most in need. We win through the science, it’s at the heart of our every success.
What you’ll do
The Director of Alliance Management will provide leadership and active management of priority and complex Oncology R&D alliances. Will contribute to the development of AZ strategy in the area of Alliances. Will take accountability to lead in-bound and out-bound asset transitions working closely with cross-functional Global Project Teams. Responsibilities include leading the strategic discussions and decision-making processes to effectively manage external collaborations and partnerships.
Leads the ongoing business relationship with various alliance partners, including large complex priority partnerships:
- Plans and manages the operational aspects of the alliance, including joint governance committee, ensuring alliance effectiveness, appropriate communications, coordination of activities, handling partner concerns, solving business problems, and negotiating with the partner on ongoing agreements
- Provides a single point-of-contact for partners and a pathway for business/contractual issue resolution or other business-related matters
- Proactively tracks, monitors and communicates contract achievements, obligations and any financial payments to project team leaders and management. Works with project team leaders to ensure that both AstraZeneca and its alliance partners, are on track to meet contractual obligations and landmarks
Helps drive the AM strategy for AstraZeneca and assists in the development of alliance management capabilities across the organization:
- Understands AstraZeneca's strategies, objectives and goals related to collaborations and associated capabilities
- Stays abreast of internal and external developments, trends and dynamics; identifies new, enhanced or revised capabilities as appropriate
- Leads the development of internal tools, systems, processes, and standard methodologies for the smooth operation of the alliance management function.
- On-boarding and training new Alliance Managers.
- Enters all key contract information into departmental systems and databases for proactive and efficient tracking of AstraZeneca and collaborator obligations
Contributes to developing business relationships with existing and potential alliance partners:
- Actively engages BD and R&D stakeholders to influence and operationalize new deals balancing risks and opportunities, establish effective governance structures, strategies and processes to improve the potential value and operational success of pending collaborations
- Sets specific and measurable performance objectives, standards, and accountabilities for each assigned collaboration. Ensuring the vision, goals and objectives of the alliance are aligned and communicated between the collaborators
- Develops strong working relationships with key involved parties for each project, internally and externally. Strives to proactively anticipate and address business-related needs of the parties to optimize joint project team success
- Bachelors Degree in life sciences or relevant field;
- 10+ years' relevant pharmaceutical/biotech industry experience with at least 3 or more years' work experience in legal, finance, contract development & administration, business development, licensing, strategic planning, research, development, commercial, or manufacturing; multi-disciplinary experience is a plus.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of the drug development process relevant to pharmaceutical/biotech organizations.
- Demonstrable abilities to translate complex contract terms and conditions into strategic and operational elements for both internal and external parties.
- Ability to manage and/or resolve issues, risks, and potential conflicts both internally and externally in a timely manner through great listening skills and the capability to ask the right questions
- Proven track record of meeting or exceeding professional/work-related objectives, goals and targets.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Capacity to work cross-functionally and to influence people without direct authority.
Ability to travel up to 15% of the time, including internationally if required.
- MBA, other graduate-level degree or CA-AM certification is a plus
Office Location is flexible: Gaithersburg, MD or Waltham, MA
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering groundbreaking methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Where can I find out more
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazeneca/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.