Data Scientist/Bioinformatician with expertise in data integration and antisense oligonucleotide design
Do you have a real passion for data science and want to improve the way we discover and develop medicines?
At AstraZeneca, we are united by a common purpose: to push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s extraordinary skills with those of people from all over the globe.
The Early Respiratory and Immunology Translational Science & Experimental Medicine department provides an agile environment, with a culture that is science and patient-focused. Our mission is to understand disease mechanisms at the molecular level, identify the most effective target and the right patient population, and close the gap between bench science and bedside clinical practice.
We are now looking for outstanding talents, eager for new insights and innovative ways of working within bioinformatics and data science to join our antisense oligonucleotide design team to make a meaningful difference to patients’ lives. This role covers using e.g. machine learning techniques and network biology to integrate data from antisense oligonucleotide programs to influence target selection, design and intracellular delivery. The successful candidate embrace a positive can-do attitude, eager to learn in each interaction.
You will work in a highly cross-functional collaborative environment together with experts in antisense oligonucleotide design and respiratory disease as well as in data science & bioinformatics. We believe that you have a scientifically strong profile, outstanding team working skills and a proven track record of working collaboratively to ensure scientific excellence and robust delivery to projects.
Accountabilities and responsibilities
- Utilise machine learning and network biology to derive sequence activity relationships
- Predict and rationalise on and off-target effects in the design of novel antisense oligonucleotides utilising e.g. transcriptomic analysis
- Through bioinformatic analysis propose novel targets and delivery systems
- Raise Respiratory and Immunology’s Data Science team’s internal and external reputation through communication and dissemination of research in internal and external presentations and peer-reviewed publications
- Contribution to the progression of pipeline objectives
- Ensure that results are scientifically robust and documented
- Work compliantly and with high ethical standards with patient level data
Requirements and qualifications
·Strong quantitative background with a PhD in bioinformatics, computer science, mathematics, statistics, data science, engineering, or similar
- Skilled in genomic analysis
- Experience of working with bioinformatic analysis within antisense oligonucleotide research
- Skilled in integration of large multimodal data sets, such as different omics platforms, preferably with experience of single cell transcriptomics data.
- Broad experience applying ML methods such as random forests, SVMs, penalized regression, clustering, dimensionality reduction in a systems biology or systems medicine context.
- Programming proficiency and experience with relevant software tools such as R, Python or MATLAB (other programming languages welcome), version control (Git/Bitbucket), and databases (SQL as well as NoSQL).
- Working in a Linux environment, with experience of cluster or cloud computing (e.g. AWS or Azure) is desirable.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, including experience in communicating across discipline boundaries.
- Track record of applying ML to projects in antisense oligonucleotide discovery or development in an academic or industrial setting
- Post-doc experience or otherwise relevant data science research experience
- Experience in pharmaceutical R&D (desirable)
- Strong publication record
If you are interested, apply now!
Welcome with your application no later than August 10, 2020
Information about life in Gothenburg visit www.movetogothenburg.com
We thrive in a multinational environment working cross-functionally across the globe with AstraZeneca colleagues as well as academic and industry partners. Our way of life is to foster a working environment that nurtures, collaboration, openness and innovation. Therefore, we have created space for meetings, socializing and relaxation, where spontaneous meetings can give birth to new innovations. The unexpected ideas or thoughts that can come from a chat over something as simple as a cup of coffee or a stroll on our “walk and talk” meeting trail.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.