Associate Principal or Senior Translational Science Leader R&D for Late Stage Development
Associate Principal or Senior Translational Science Leader R&D for late stage development
BioPharmaceuticals R&D, Respiratory & Immunology, Precision Medicine Development
Location: Gaithersburg, MD USA
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we are more than just one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration through scientific research. Employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
The Respiratory & Immunology Translational Science and Experimental Medicine department is a fast-paced environment, with a culture that is both science-based and patient-focused. Our mission is to understand disease mechanisms at the molecular level, identify the most effective target and the right patient population, and to close the gap between bench science and bedside clinical practice.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The Translational Scientist within the Precision Medicine Development team will lead the development of patient stratification and biomarker strategies in a range of disease areas within respiratory and immunology disease areas. The successful candidate will hold a leadership role in one or more late stage development teams and will work cross-functionally to generate, analyze and integrate mine genomic, proteomic, biochemical, microbiome and metabolomic data from clinical trials and external collaborations. Our goal is to provide fundamental insights into the molecular heterogeneity of human diseases and the design of precision medicine hypotheses being tested in clinical trials. The expected output is the delivery and interpretation of high-quality scientific data that informs on mechanism of disease and mechanism of action of therapeutic intervention.
This is a high-profile role requiring an individual with outstanding communication and leadership skills. Vital to this role is the ability to build strong relationships with stakeholders in biosciences, clinical development, clinical biostatistics, bioinformatics/data sciences and other functions within AstraZeneca and to work effectively with external vendors and academic collaborators.
The individual must be a strong scientific and strategic leader who can work within a fast-paced organization. Publication of manuscripts in top-tier scientific, technical or medical journals is encouraged, thereby contributing to AstraZeneca’s scientific leadership.
Qualifications & Skills
- In-depth knowledge of human diseases within respiratory and immunology therapeutic areas
- Experience in the development and execution of biomarker and precision medicine strategies as part of clinical trials
- Ability to assess vendor options for collection of data sets and to secure delivery of these data sets
- Exceptional organizational skills with attention to detail; demonstrated project management skills
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills; ability to write technical reports and to present complex data
- Strong leadership and collaboration skills to work and lead in a matrix environment which includes research, clinical development and commercial functions
- Strongly desired:
- Experienced in analyzing large datasets including genomics, proteomics and microbiome for the purpose of developing precision medicine hypothesis
- A record of innovative contributions to translational research in respiratory, inflammatory and/or autoimmune diseases, as evidenced by a publication record, inventorship on patents/filings and/or presentations at major conferences
- Experience in contributing to the writing of key regulatory documents (e.g. IND/CTA, IB, marketing applications).
- Education: MD, PhD/MD or PhD degree in a relevant scientific field (e.g. molecular biology, cell signaling, microbiology, genomics, bioinformatics, chemical engineering).
- A minimum of 5-10 years post-MD/PhD experience in an industry setting.
AstraZeneca is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.