Associate/Oncology Medical Training Leader, Breast
AstraZeneca - Oncology Medical Training Leader, Breast
Location:Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA
E/F role depending on experience
Do you have expertise in, and passion for Medical Affairs in Oncology? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the Associate/Oncology Medical Training Leader role in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
The Oncology therapy area at AstraZeneca is unparalleled. We have built and strategically acquired one of the most promising Oncology pipelines in the industry. You will be among inspiring Oncology industry leaders who will keep you engaged and empower you to be the best. We seek out opportunities to do dynamic and significant work which means we won't just follow the same course of action time and again if we can see potential in a different way of building life changing medicine.
The Oncology Medical Training (OMT) function at AstraZeneca is a tumour-aligned, specialist scientific training team – where a passion for science, expertise in adult learning principles, and a curiosity to push boundaries meets with our commitment to improving patient outcomes. The OMT function plays a critical role in ensuring our Medical teams excel in the scientific knowledge and capabilities (skills) required to facilitate meaningful engagement with the clinical community and reinforce our position as leaders in Oncology.
We are delighted to offer an opening within this team focusing on our breast cancer portfolio. The ‘Associate / OMT Leader, Breast Cancer’ role is responsible for delivering comprehensive and impactful training content for AstraZeneca medical teams worldwide. You will partner with relevant breast cancer stakeholders to identify global medical training needs, identify potential innovative solutions, execute educational initiatives, and evaluate success via metrics-based approaches. Key to the role will be development of an internal and external network, to assist in the effective implementation of training activities across teams and throughout the business.
In office attendance in Gaithersburg, US is required.
Accountabilities fall into several key areas:
- Drive the development and delivery of scientific training initiatives to upskill Headquarters and Field Medical colleagues working in breast cancer around the world
- Develop comprehensive and cohesive therapeutic area training curricula - to include disease state, patient journey, therapeutic landscape, and pre-clinical/clinical/real-world evidence data from AstraZeneca - alongside relevant skills training
- Collaborate with internal cross-functional colleagues and external partners to help identify unmet educational needs. Stakeholders include Global Medical Affairs, Global MSL Excellence, Local Headquarters and Field Medical stakeholders, amongst others
- Support training roll-out to markets, including proactive communication with key Global and Local stakeholders to ensure awareness of currently available and future educational content
- Manage and work with outsource providers/external agencies on the development of new content and training solutions
- Leverage adult learning principles to deliver effective and meaningful learning experiences, alongside the design of novel training solutions to bolster learner engagement and interactivity
- Utilise metrics-based approaches to evaluate success in meeting educational objectives and driving learner outcomes
- Support the localisation of training in the United States, with focussed support at product launch
- Contribute to the high performance and efficiency of the OMT team by improving on benchmarks and best practices related to scientific content, data, and skills
- Ensure compliance with global guidelines, policies and processes
Requirements - Education and Experience
- Advanced degree in scientific discipline or applicable health sciences field (Master’s Degree or higher) or a Bachelor’s Degree with clinical experience
- Extensive experience in oncology
- Medical Affairs experience in pharmaceutical industry strongly preferred (approx. 5 years), including demonstrated experience in developing and executing medical strategy and medical plans
- Experience in creating and implementing training programs, and understanding of adult learning principles
- Demonstrated experience in managing a budget
- Demonstrated project management experience with a proven record of driving impact
Skills and Capabilities
- Experience in scientific/therapy area training programs relevant to Medical Affairs, with proven ability to create and deliver on trainings that address identified gaps
- Ability to think strategically and deliver long range plans that are aligned with broader organizational objectives
- Demonstrated ability to set and manage priorities, resources, performance targets and project initiatives in a Global and/or regional environment
- Working knowledge of clinician-facing Medical Affairs functions, preferably with prior In-Country, Regional or Global experience
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and stakeholder management skills
- Strong ability to effectively collaborate with various roles across Medical
Reports to: Head of Oncology Medical Training
Indirect reports: Works in close collaboration with Medical roles across the organisation
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.