Global Category Manager - Operations
At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing.
Our Frederick facility builds life-changing medicines for people around the world. We make a direct contribution to treating people with cancer, respiratory and autoimmune conditions across the globe. From catered site festivities to competitive events, community outreach activities, environmental and wellness showcases and team-building events, we take time to recognize our achievements. The Frederick Manufacturing Center is dedicated to building a culture of inclusion and collaboration. We host yearly Inclusion and Diversity conferences and have an employee resource group devoted to promoting diversity and inclusion and enhancing employees' professional development through interactive and engaging events and initiatives. We are also an award-winning employer and has been recognized as a ‘Top 50’ Business in Frederick, and Frederick County’s ‘Best Place to Work’ distinction in 2015 and 2019.
The Global Category Manager will have accountability for a spend category across a region or the whole of AstraZeneca (may be single or multiple SET areas). You will develop long term strategic plans for the entire spend area within AstraZeneca or Region. You will manage customer and supplier relationships to ensure that Category Strategies are highly aligned to current and future Business needs and that the supply base can support these strategies. You will oversee implementation of category plan to ensure that the underpinning process improvement and procurement activities deliver the expected business value in accordance with the strategic plans.
This position could be located at our Frederick, MD or Gaithersburg, MD site.
What you’ll do:
- Develop Category Strategy and oversee implementation of category (sub category) plan to ensure that the underpinning process improvement and procurement activities deliver the expected business value in accordance with the strategic plans
- Support Global/Regional Category Lead in the development of long-term strategic plans for agreed scope of spend area
- Support the Global/Regional Category Lead in strategic relationship management of the supplier base - to ensure that Category Strategies are highly aligned to current and future Business need and that the supply base is capable of supporting these strategies.
- You will work with relevant Global/Regional Category Lead(s) to ensure a fully integrated and customer-aligned AZ-wide category plan and advise and drive procurement strategies to make decisions vital to purchase products and services in congruence with organizational objectives
- Drive the preparation of competitive bids, quotations and proposals with pertinent specifications, terms and conditions and coordinate the introduction of new and modified products and services with appropriate departments
- Analyze and resolve issues raised in procurement audit reports
- Develop and advise on contracts and agreements for the supply of sophisticated products and services with new and existing suppliers
- Evaluate or manage internal and external relationships with suppliers, Category Teams and other cross-functional teams
Essential for the role:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferred science or engineering background and 5 – 7 years of relevant experience
- Relevant work experience, including Procurement experience
- Experience in the manufacturing of Biologics
- Supplier Management experience
- Ability to demonstrate a range of influencing techniques
- Proven track record to manage change
- Strong analytical and financial skills
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, groundbreaking cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.