Job Title: Senior Engineer
Location: TRIL GTC Chennai
Are you an experienced software engineer looking for an exciting new challenge? Then why not join our R&D IT Solution Delivery team and play a pivotal role in modernising systems and processes enabling drug discovery in or Early Science Drug Discovery program.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a senior engineer to advance modern software development practices within our team (DevOps/CI/CD/automated testing), building a bespoke integrated software framework (on-premise/cloud/COTS) which will accelerate the ability of AZ scientists to develop new drug candidates for unmet patient needs.
To achieve this goal we need a strong senior individual to work with teams of engineers, as well as engage and influence other global teams within Solution Delivery to ensure that our priorities are aligned with the needs of our science. The successful candidate will be a hands-on coder, passionate about software development and also willing to coach and enable wider teams to grow and expand their software delivery capabilities and skills.
At AstraZeneca we believe in the potential of our people and you'll develop beyond what you thought possible. We make the most of your skills and passion by actively supporting you to see what you can achieve in your wider career aspirations.
What you’ll do.
The role will encompass a variety of approaches with the aim of simplifying and streamlining scientific workflows, data and applications, while advancing the use of AI and automation for use by scientists. Working alongside platform lead, architect, BA, and informaticians you will be working to understand, devise technical solutions, estimate and deliver and run operationally sustainable platform software. You need to use your technical acumen to determine an optimal balance between COTS and home-grown solutions and own their lifecycles and roadmap.
Our delivery teams are distributed across multiple locations and as Senior Engineer you will need to coordinate activities of technical internal and contract employees. You must be capable of working with others, driving ownership of solutions, showing humility while striving to enable the development of platform technical team members in our journey. You will raise expectations within the whole team, solve complex technical problems and work alongside complementary delivery platforms while aligning solutions with scientific and data strategies and target architecture.
Skills & Capabilities
The role requires strong technical skills and we consider the below essential capabilities:
- Proficiency in traditional software programming languages including Java/J2EE (essential), .NET, C, and scripting languages like Python, R, Shiny, VBA Script
- Experience with Rest API and general API/microservices design, integration and use
- Basic Experience of basic Unix/Shell scripting and basic SQL knowledge an advantage
- Experience with cloud computing services (especially AWS)
- Experience with DevOps tools (e.g. Jenkins and Bamboo)
- Experience with process tools (JIRA, Confluence)
- Experience with CI CD tools (Ansible, etc) and should have implemented them in the past
- Database skills (e.g. MySQL, Oracle)
- Experience Application servers (e.g, Weblogic, JBOSS, etc)
- Experience with Monitoring tools like Splunk and AppDynamics
- Experience of vendor/technology selection to fulfill specific gaps in the solution stack
- Ability and willingness to learn new technologies
- Experience working with global teams, delivering and supporting solutions
- The below attributes are advantageous but not explicit requirements for the role
- Experience with ITSM toolsets like ServiceNow or BMC Remedy
- Understanding of/integration with commercial off the shelf systems like LIMS, eLN
- Understanding of analytics tools such as TIBCO Spotfire, D360
- Working with integration tools such as Mulesoft
- Working with fast paced research and informatics environments
- Experience in pharma or biotech is an advantage but not a prerequisite
- API migration experience.
Bachelor’s degree in Bioinformatics, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Maths, Computer Science, Information Science, or equivalent degree is preferred. We will consider self-taught engineers without a formal education given that you have evidence of rich history of software engineering.
- Minimum 7-8 years of hands on software development experience and solution delivery
- 3+ years on software delivery projects, ideally involving teams in multiple locations
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next! Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.