Senior Consultant - Graph Back End Engineer
Title : Senior Consultant - Graph Back End Engineer
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
Are you interested in building data products that could benefit millions of patients? Do you like the freedom to design and code on experimental projects?
We are assembling a new team committed to building and analysing disease knowledge graphs, comprising diverse skillsets: data scientists, engineers, bioinformaticians and with an interest in graph and natural language processing. This team will transform our ability to surface key biological insights improving our understanding of oncology, respiratory and cardiovascular disease, targets and drug response. In this deeply technical and close-knit team of data scientists, machine learning engineers and knowledge engineers you will create tools that will advance the standard of healthcare improving the lives of millions of patients across the globe.
We are looking for an experience Backend developer who can scale and optimize the performance of our machine learning pipelines and backend services.
What you will do?
We are working in collaboration with our scientists to help develop better drugs faster, choose the right treatment for a patient and run safer clinical trials.
Our team is integrating knowledge from biomedical literature, genomics, screening and chemistry to
- Discover novel drug targets.
- Identify patterns defining distinct patient groups and biomarkers.
- Understand drug mechanism of action and safety.
- Build recommendation systems supporting decision making in drug programs.
As part of our team, you will scale and optimize data processing and integration pipelines to expand our knowledge graph with data coming from highly heterogeneous distributed data sources. And you will work with our machine learning engineers and data scientists to exploit the knowledge graph to derive new insights in support for our drug development research.
You will architect efficient and reusable API, backend services and feature stores that drive complex web applications.
You will collaborate with Data Scientists, Software Engineers and Product Managers across AstraZeneca to build compelling user-facing products.
Candidate Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Independent, Creative, collaborative, & product focused
- Strong software development skills, with proficiency in Python and/or Scala preferred
- Solid experience with SQL and NoSQL backends
- Experience coding as part of a team (including participating in PR reviews, establishing unit testing, linting and performance frameworks within CI/CD)
- Experience in building, improving and running large scale data science pipelines
- Experience with UNIX filesystems, server architectures, microservices and distributed systems
- Deep expertise in any of our core technologies – Spark, Docker, Kubernetes, CI/CD
- Experience of cloud environment (AWS preferred), Hadoop/Spark, SQL
- been part of teams who placed machine learning solutions into production.
- worked in scaling machine learning pipelines on top of modern parallel environments (e.g. distributed clusters, multicore SMP, and GPU)
- experience with graph databases, triple-stores
- managed workloads on top of Kubernetes clusters
- designed or used graphQL APIs in your projects.
- knowledge of the biological or drug discovery domain
- Are interested in search, recommendation or information retrieval.
The role will have no direct line reports, but task management responsibilities within project or services may occur
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.