Senior Consultant - AI Ops (Models)
Job Title:Senior Consultant
Career Level: D1
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
We are looking for an AI Ops data scientist to join our Data Science & AI team in Chennai. The ideal candidate will have been part of a service or platform team, be looking to expand their data science knowledge and have experience using different cloud environments. It will involve taking these skills and applying them to some of the most exciting data & prediction problems in drug discovery.
This position will support our data science algorithms, their lifecycle and management for R&D. You will help administrate, update and optimise various machine learning models. This might involve testing, error handling and monitoring production algorithms for drift over time.
The successful candidate will be part of an exciting new, close-knit team of deeply technical experts and together have the chance to create tools that will advance the standard of healthcare, improving the lives of millions of patients across the globe. This platform will support major AI initiatives such as clinical trial data analysis, knowledge graphs, imaging & omics for our therapy areas. You will also have the responsibility to help provide the frameworks for data scientists to develop scalable machine learning and predictive models with our growing data science community, in a safe and robust manner.
- Manage and support machine learning algorithms from predictive models to natural language processing and deep learning neural nets.
- Ability to optimise machine learning code and able to operate highly scalable, highly available data science tools
- Be part of the development roadmap to build and operationalise our data science environment, platforms and tooling.
- Deployment and monitoring of algorithms and data science on cloud environments.
- Understanding of the necessary guardrails required for different use cases and data sensitivities.
- Liaise with the Data Science teams to ensure that the algorithms and the deployment of the solution therein benefit from an optimised and scalable data flow between source systems and analytical models
- Implementing custom machine learning code and developing benchmarking capabilities to monitor the drift of any analyses over time.
- Liaise with other teams to enhance our technological stack, to enable the adoption of the latest advances in Data Processing and AI
- Being an active member of the Data Science team, you will benefit from, and contribute to, our expanding bank of Data Science algorithms and work efficiently with our data science infrastructure.
- Be prepared to learn new AI and data science skills whilst being part of a service team is key.
- Testing and assessing the quality of new tools.
Candidate Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- BSc in Computer Science or related quantitative field or MSc/Ph.D degree in Computer Science or related quantitative field.
- Ability to just get things done. Respond to incidents and issues and take through to resolution
- Experience developing data science code, handling new customer demand and feature requests.
- Strong software coding skills, with proficiency in Python, R and Scala preferred.
- Significant experience with AWS cloud environments, working knowledge of Google and Azure platforms. Knowledge of Kubernetes, S3, EC2, Sagemaker, Athena, RDS and Glue is preferred.
- Certification in appropriate areas will be viewed favourably.
- Experience with general administration (user management, permissions, resource usage) and the command line shell scripting.
- Excellent working knowledge of microservices, containerisation and distributed computing concepts.
- Experience with best practice of data transport and storage within the cloud system.
- Experience building large scale data processing pipelines. e. g. Hadoop/Spark and SQL.
- Experience provisioning computational resources in a variety of environments.
- Experience with containers and microservice architectures e.g. Kubernetes, Docker and serverless approaches.
- Experience with automation strategies e.g. CI/CD, gitops.
- Creative, collaborative, & product-focused.
- An understanding in one of the following areas: machine learning, recommendation systems, pattern recognition, natural language processing or computer vision.
The role will have no line reports. Task management responsibilities are likely within the AI Operations Platform team.
Department – Data & Analytics, S&EUIT
Science and Enabling Units IT is a global IT capability supporting Drug Research, Drug Development, Product & Portfolio Strategy, Medical Affairs, Finance, HR, Compliance, Legal and Global Business Services. We are organized around 7 key capability areas: Business Partnering, Solution Delivery, Architecture, Application Support, Data & Analytics, Change & Operations, operating out of sites across the US, UK, Sweden, India and Mexico.
Data & Analytics provides analytics and data insight services and solutions critical to the Data & AI/ML emerging strategy and mission of S&EUIT and AZ. D&A is organized into teams specializing in Information Architecture, Data Engineering, Data Visualisation, Knowledge Management, Data Science, Data Analysis and Information Governance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.