Senior Clinical Program Director
Do you have expertise within Clinical Drug Development combined with leadership skills and strategical understanding of designing clinical programs? Join us to be part of the unique experience of translating early clinical science into crisp and robust clinical development plans. Together we will discover future treatments of Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolic diseases!
At AstraZeneca, we work without barriers between functions at the cutting edge of science to develop the ground-breaking medicines of the future. That’s why we love it – this is the place to make a more meaningful impact to patients’ lives around the globe.
Early Clinical Development (ECD) is where the science meet the patient. We are now offering an exciting opportunity as Senior Clinical Program Directorwithin ECD Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolism (CVRM), one of AstraZeneca’s main therapy areas. Here, you will be a key player to progress a rich and diverse pipeline up to phase 3 ID.
This is a global role where you will be working in a diverse and cross-functional environment at the forefront of early clinical research and development. The role can be based at AstraZeneca’s dynamic R&D sites in Gaithersburg (US), Cambridge (UK) or Gothenburg (Sweden). We are offering opportunities at different career levels depending on your experience.
What you’ll do
As a SeniorClinical Program Director (CPD) in Early CVRM programs, you will be accountable for the overall delivery of the clinical program to time, cost and quality. You will lead the Clinical Program Team (CPT) and work closely with the core CPT members to ensure that the clinical strategy and deliverables for the clinical program are delivered to the Early Global Product Team (eGPT). The role provides strategic oversight and feasibility input into the design of the clinical program and plays a key role in the work required to determine possible program design options. Your focus is across the program level, collaborating with the Development Operations (Dev Ops) organization, Clinical Project Team (CPT) members, eGPT colleagues and all other functions that are key to the development of a compound.Responsibilities include:
- Leading the CPT and its oversight of clinical program strategy activities and deliveries within assigned programs
- Providing efficient and effective program management of all CPT deliverables, including project strategy, design and delivery of CPT driven program/studies to time, on budget and with quality
- Providing strategic and operational input to cross-functional program development plans and be accountable for cross-functional leadership roles as delegated from the eGPT
- Ensuring initial feasibility assessment and early country and site engagement to optimize clinical program delivery
- Acting as the initial and program-level AstraZeneca interface with externally managed/outsourced partners (e.g. CRO/ARO) and collaboration/alliance partners for program planning and delivery
- Developing and managing of contingency risk plans within each assigned clinical program, including management of program issue escalation and resolution
- Proving an accurate budget forecasting, and maintenance, and monitoring to baseline, clinical program resourcing, scenario planning, plus overall timelines for trials within assigned program, including setup and maintenance within Company systems
Essential for the role
This role requires a scientific understanding and the ability to translate early clinical science into crisp and robust clinical development plans. Strong leadership skills and delivery focus are key! With your excellent interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills you have the ability to influence strategically to obtain desired outcomes while maintaining effective, positive organizational relationships. You operate effectively across boundaries in a global matrix research environment to influence both internal and external stakeholders. Your passion, strong vision and drive to succeed will be key to success!
- MSc or PhD of Science degree in natural sciences, medicine or equivalent (advanced degree is preferred)
- 10 years global pharmaceutical drug development and leadership experience demonstrated in a variety of roles and 5 years clinical development experience
- Ability to develop clinical programmes to meet business goals and to assess business risk versus potential value
- Ability in problem solving and issues management that are solution focused
- Significant experience of program management and use of project management techniques in complex projects, including resourcing, financial management and business case development
- Experience of leading delivery through collaboration within globally matrixed teams, including internal organization and external providers and drive delivery to timelines, cost and quality
So, what’s next?
Are you already imagining yourself joining us? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you!
Welcome with your application no later than August 31, 2022.
Interviews will be starting earliest mid-August.
Competitive salary and benefits
Where can I find out more?
CVRM therapy area: https://www.astrazeneca.com/our-therapy-areas/cardiovascular-renal-and-metabolism.html
AZ Gaithersburg: https://www.astrazeneca.com/our-company/our-locations/gaithersburg.html
AZ Gothenburg: https://www.astrazeneca.com/our-company/our-locations/gothenburg.html
AZ Cambridge: https://www.astrazeneca.com/our-company/our-locations/cambridge.html
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical company proud to provide a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and cross-boundary collaboration. Within this environment employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives, and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity. There’s no better place to see what science can do.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.