Medical Affairs Lead, External Scientific Relations
Biopharmaceuticals Medical (BPM) ensures the best patient outcomes by providing healthcare decision-makers around the world with the evidence and confidence they need on AstraZeneca (AZ) therapies and supports our internal stakeholders with medical insight and expertise. BPM provides medical leadership with market participation and connectivity while also impacting the life cycle planning and execution of all our products. BPM aims to lead AZ in achieving scientific leadership, being a great place to work, and keeping patients at the core of everything we do.
In order to accomplish our goals and enable the best patient outcomes, we look for AZ medical network leaders to have five (5) core capabilities and act as role models to our AZ values.
These capabilities include:
Track record of building and maintaining a deep and continued connection to Medical Practice/healthcare deliveryCollaborative/matrix management skills with a focus on leading diverse groups (e.g., cultural, geographical, functional) to achieve excellent results in shared goalsWell-developed communication and influencing skills with the ability to distil complexity down to what matters to our stakeholdersStrong financial/budget and project management skillsBusiness acumen.
Reporting directly to the Head of External Scientific Engagement for Respiratory and Immunology (R&I), the Medical Affairs Leader for External Scientific Relations (MALFESR) will help deliver a comprehensive external scientific engagement strategy for AstraZeneca (AZ) for across all external stake holders for specific products yet to be decided. This will include managing AZ R&I engagement with Key External Experts (KEEs), medical society partnerships, sponsored research networks, representing AstraZeneca at key industrial consortia, managing new strategic advocacy initiatives to support the growing use of Respiratory and Immunology biologics, input into and deliver the strategy for AZ’s Global Respiratory Leadership Forum and all BPM congress activities for e.g. ERS, EACCI and EULAR.
In this role the MALESR will therefore develop key working relationships with the GMAL colleagues, BPM Strategy functions and Development functions as well as Medical Affairs Leadership globally and regionally in the Respiratory and Immunology therapeutic area.
Advances reputation of AstraZeneca and the Respiratory and Immunology BPM organization:
- Input to and deliver TA BPM external engagement strategy with regard to:
- KEEs and Emerging Leaders: delivering a comprehensive engagement strategy for inhaled and biologic therapies; ensuring alignment across BPM, Strategy, science units and MCs; drive and track systematic, strategic, world-class engagement with leading experts
- Design and deliver strategic advocacy initiatives Globally, including ensuring alignment with local activities and Global strategy
- Responsibility for day to day involvement with selected Respiratory/Allergy and Immunology Medical societies, research networks
- Input into the strategy, scientific agenda and the execution of GRLF and BPM activities for ERS & EACCI, EULAR
- Enhances the reputation of AZ, communicates therapeutic area medical strategy
- Responsibility for identifying and running new Academic/Clinical collaborations
- Participates actively in AZ Global Advisory Boards
- Training and development of organizational competencies in therapeutic area
- Supports Medical Education initiatives including congress symposia and stand alone scientific events
- Content and direction for training through Medical Academy in relation to External Engagement activities.
- Ongoing updates to and relevant stakeholders on developments in disease area
Supports therapeutic area in development of External Medical Relations
- Drives AZ leadership through active collaborative relationships with external organizations and professional bodies
- Representation at selected key congresses and professional meetings
Manages specific scientific projects as directed by HESR
- Head of External Scientific Relations
- Therapeutic Area Medical Affairs Leaders (by product)
- BBU| Global Respiratory and Immunology Directors and Heads (by product)
- BBU| Global Market Access and Pricing Directors (by Product)
- Global Medicines Leaders (by product)
- Marketing Company Medical TA leads
- TA medical and scientific societies
- Collaborative/co-operative and government sponsored clinical research groups
- Patient advocacy groups
- Key Scientific Experts (KSE) in the respective TA
- Access bodies
- Medical education groups
- Medical journal editors
Minimum Requirements – Education and Experience
- Highly desired: TA specialist qualification
- Large experience of developing strong working relationships with key external leaders in Respiratory medicine, including KEEs and professional societies at either International or regional/MC level
- Demonstrated success in executing strategic plans highly desired
- Experience leading project teams with a track record of delivering results
- Experience in medical affairs, product and portfolio strategy, working with clinical development, life cycle management highly desires
- Experience operating in complex matrix environments desires
- Strong strategic and scientific presentation skills
- Demonstrated track record in implementing and driving core and new initiatives
Skills and Capabilities
- Proven ability to collaborate with internal and external colleagues in various geographies, cultures, roles, and hierarchic levels
- Proven ability to mobilise an project teams to execute on strategy
- Strong decision making skills
- Proven ability to quickly understand the dynamcis of the environment they are working in and adapt plans and responses accordingly
- Experience of presenting to leadership with persuasive oral and written communication skills, including the ability to develop and deliver executive presentations
- Ability to manage overall business and medical priorities in an effective and efficient way
- Ability to flex between high level strategy and detailed tactics as required
- Strong analytical mind-set and ability to quickly assess large amounts of information and distil into key messages and actions
- Integrity and high ethical standards
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.