Director, Protein Engineering - ADPE
Director, Protein Engineering, ADPE
Location: Cambridge, UK
Salary: Competitive with excellent benefits
At AstraZeneca, we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being results oriented, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a well published, innovative and highly motivated leader to join our world-class Antibody Discovery and Protein Engineering (ADPE) team in Cambridge, UK. As the Director of Protein Engineering you will be responsible for delivering a significant portion of biologic therapeutics across all therapeutic areas covering discovery, optimization, and characterization of antibodies, proteins, fusion proteins, protein scaffolds, bispecifics, etc. You will be an active member of the ADPE Senior Leadership Team and will contribute to the overall strategy and direction of ADPE.
What you'll do
- Lead and manage a multidisciplinary team to perform ground breaking research in biologics discovery and new technology development.
- Interact and collaborate with leaders and teams Oncology, Respiratory/Immunology, Cardiovascular/Metabolic diseases, Neuroscience, and Microbial Sciences on pipeline delivery and new technology development.
- Develop and manage operating budget.
- Build an environment that values innovation, scientific excellence, collaboration, speak up culture, and inclusion/diversity.
- Provide growth, career development and carry out performance management for staff.
- As a part of the ADPE Senior Leadership Team, actively contribute to the overall strategy and direction of ADPE, and undertake specific leadership assignments representing ADPE, as required.
- Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in relevant scientific field
- Extensive experience in the pharmaceutical industry
- Excellent communication skills
- Project management experience
- Recognized leader in scientific specialty as evidenced by publications, participation in international conference, membership on journal editorial boards, etc.
- He/she must be an excellent communicator and highly effective in interacting with key internal and external partners.
- The candidate must be a great teammate and builder, and have great organizational skill.
- The successful candidate must have a high degree of integrity and professionalism.
- PhD in scientific field
- Expert reputation within the business and industry
- Extensive knowledge of the latest technical and regulatory developments
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being results-oriented - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, ground-breaking ground-breaking methods and bringing unexpected teams together.
So, what’s next?
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team?
Are you ready to bring new insights and fresh thinking to this role?
Interested, then we would invite you to submit your application online by midnight on 2 March 2021.
Our Company Values & Behaviours underpin everything we do so please take a moment to familiarize yourself with them. You may also want to check out our new R&D Video showing how we turn Science into Medicines.
For more information, visit:
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.